It's not the speed that gets you...

-
Glad your alright.
My brother got cleaned up by some wanker who couldn't wait 3 seconds.
My brother was going straight through an intersection controlled by traffic lights, and the guy in a Nissan Navara ute, who was turning across......brother saw he wasn't going to give way, so he slowed down to a near stand still, and the guy hit him at about 35 mph.....broke the bull-bar off the ute, and my brother was thrown across the road like a rag doll.
It was touch and go as to whether he would lose his right leg, it was that smashed up......it's now full of pins and screws, top to bottom....and 1/2" shorter.
He is still waiting for a compo payout.
He is a tough bugga ( works in a meat works throwing around 80 lb tubs of tripe for 10-12 hrs a day).....he had heaps of other breaks too, ribs, collar bone, etc.....if it was anybody else, I think they would have died.
The bike is a Yamaha MT-01....he bought it new.
The front forks are bent back a liitle.
Now he drives a Subaru Brumby ute.....his first car.....he's 39.

Attachments

• IMGP0998.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 100
We say it's not if you will wreck on your bike, but when. I owned one sport bike. It was fun. Too much. Even when I went to a HD ultra classic I leaned that baby until the crash bars rubbed. Now I have a family and kids and a barracuda to take them all with.

I guess I am lucky as my 81 Suzuki GS1100 will only go 85mph according to the speedo. I guess that's why I still alive today lol. But I had a few close calls and did a lot of stupid things in my youth and my body is paying now. Welcome to the site and glad you survived the crash. I have never seen a swing arm Torn like that.

I personally thought that the gs1100 es was the fastest bike on the road at that time..

Seriously, only 85 ? Must have been different in Canada..I remember it being much higher.

I ran out of gas one night and one picked me up to get a container from a ststion about 5 miles away..he didn't spare any horses..christ..

CB's where cool bikes. the 900 was a classic underdog that could bite you if you weren't paying attention. I no lot's of guy's who've turned those 750's into cool choppers.

pegs were high and I kept dragging them..i think the bike was a bit too heavy..I am guessing that the CB750F was a more flickable bike. I loved to eat Kz900s :)

Oddly enough, it was an excellent cruiser....but deep in my brain, i knew if I didn't get rid of it, there was going to be no good come of it..

My next bike, years later (1988) was an original , purple CB350. Traded it for an engine job in in the late 90s...he painted it blue..arg..

We say it's not if you will wreck on your bike, but when. I owned one sport bike. It was fun. Too much. Even when I went to a HD ultra classic I leaned that baby until the crash bars rubbed. Now I have a family and kids and a barracuda to take them all with.

My daughter's snow board teacher a couple years back drove an R1 with 2 extra teeth on the rear sprocket...pink leather...christ..

Almost makes me want to get another... :)

My daughter's snow board teacher a couple years back drove an R1 with 2 extra teeth on the rear sprocket...pink leather...christ..

Almost makes me want to get another... :)

Ahahahaha! Fantastic!

Indeed, the GS1000 was one of the fastest bikes of the time and handled really well when the road tightened up. It was deceptive for such a big bike.

Great fun. :)

Glad your alright.
My brother got cleaned up by some wanker who couldn't wait 3 seconds.
My brother was going straight through an intersection controlled by traffic lights, and the guy in a Nissan Navara ute, who was turning across......brother saw he wasn't going to give way, so he slowed down to a near stand still, and the guy hit him at about 35 mph.....broke the bull-bar off the ute, and my brother was thrown across the road like a rag doll.
It was touch and go as to whether he would lose his right leg, it was that smashed up......it's now full of pins and screws, top to bottom....and 1/2" shorter.
He is still waiting for a compo payout.
He is a tough bugga ( works in a meat works throwing around 80 lb tubs of tripe for 10-12 hrs a day).....he had heaps of other breaks too, ribs, collar bone, etc.....if it was anybody else, I think they would have died.
The bike is a Yamaha MT-01....he bought it new.
The front forks are bent back a liitle.
Now he drives a Subaru Brumby ute.....his first car.....he's 39.

Glad he pulled through. That was a crappy way to get it.
The MT-01 is a great looking bike with a monster motor.

True statement. But amazingly, even though one knows it... We don't ride thinking it. Lol

Yeah... I know those roads. Out there in hunterdon county. Skyline.. High point and the palisades. Yeah!

Nice Bikes. And I'm partial to GSXRs " Gixxer" . Lol
I've seen your chopper some threads really sweet, Ridged?

I still have an 82 Kaw GPZ 550 with 5K original miles sitting in a friends garage in Georgia. I'm planning a trip out to get it in the spring. Not sure what Im going to do with it yet but it's a sweet classic.

Soft tail....by name only. Those early GPZ's were great bikes back then. First new bike for me was a 85 500 Interceptor

View attachment 500 inter.jpg

I tortured that bike. Used to ride home form work on I80 on the rev limiter in 6th gear. Connecting rods in the rear two cylinders would stretch enough that the pistons would bust the electrode off the plugs.

I also had a 92 600F2....

View attachment 640px-1992-Honda-CBR600F2-Red-4259-0.jpg

Was my commuter for the first six years I lived in AZ. Sold it at 99996 or so miles. Never gave me a lick of trouble. Bike was a ton of fun to ride. Had a pipe/ignition advancer/jet kit. Spent 40 or so hours tuning it. Was on a dyno at 60k miles, made a touch under 97 hp.

I sold my last bike about 5 years ago just before i bought my Dart,
It was a 900F had a ton of engine mods with a Kerker drag pipe.
Had a few close calls with it, Riding down a country road one day cruising at 100 an old man pulls out of his drive way it was inches to a side swipe.
Had to pull over after that and have a smoke that's when i said it's gott'a go!!

Soft tail....by name only. Those early GPZ's were great bikes back then.

My wife rides a 1987 GPZ900R....it goes like stink.....would probably top out at 280 kmh....about 175 mph...I have had it to 240kmh....about 150 mph......it has a p&p head, Ivan Tighe cams, close ratio box, no air box, it has 4 open K&N oval pods with ram tubes, 160 main jets, and a stainless steel big bore exhaust going 2 - 1's and no balance pipe.
Sounds evil at 11,000 rpm.....the induction noise between ya legs, and the howl of the mufflers each side.......:)

Took a few rides on sport bikes. Way too much fun. I'm way too much of an idiot to have a fast bike. Been riding this one for 25 years without much trouble tho. Slow bikes are still pretty cool. Plus you get a lot of looks riding an old pos.

Soft tail....by name only. Those early GPZ's were great bikes back then. First new bike for me was a 85 500 Interceptor

View attachment 1714674926

I tortured that bike. Used to ride home form work on I80 on the rev limiter in 6th gear. Connecting rods in the rear two cylinders would stretch enough that the pistons would bust the electrode off the plugs.

I also had a 92 600F2....

View attachment 1714674927

Was my commuter for the first six years I lived in AZ. Sold it at 99996 or so miles. Never gave me a lick of trouble. Bike was a ton of fun to ride. Had a pipe/ignition advancer/jet kit. Spent 40 or so hours tuning it. Was on a dyno at 60k miles, made a touch under 97 hp.

Oh you're bringing back memories. I picked up an 85 Vf700f from this guy back in 90... I put some time into it (the carbs setup was a real finicky piece with all those little fuel rails. Anyway, red, white and blue livery, one of my favorite bike ever.

I sold my last bike about 5 years ago just before i bought my Dart,
It was a 900F had a ton of engine mods with a Kerker drag pipe.
Had a few close calls with it, Riding down a country road one day cruising at 100 an old man pulls out of his drive way it was inches to a side swipe.
Had to pull over after that and have a smoke that's when i said it's gott'a go!!

Yup serious pucker factor there bud.. you probably need a pry bar to get of the damn bike. Glad dodged one.

My wife rides a 1987 GPZ900R....it goes like stink.....would probably top out at 280 kmh....about 175 mph...I have had it to 240kmh....about 150 mph......it has a p&p head, Ivan Tighe cams, close ratio box, no air box, it has 4 open K&N oval pods with ram tubes, 160 main jets, and a stainless steel big bore exhaust going 2 - 1's and no balance pipe.
Sounds evil at 11,000 rpm.....the induction noise between ya legs, and the howl of the mufflers each side.......:)

Cool, my GPZ is all stock 10k on the clock. Really nice shape.
Here it is all naked and stuff. Those Megaphones sound wicked.

2957_1074717626854_894354_n.jpg

I've been toying around with the idea of making into a cafe bike, or sell it to help pay for the Dart. idk.

Took a few rides on sport bikes. Way too much fun. I'm way too much of an idiot to have a fast bike. Been riding this one for 25 years without much trouble tho. Slow bikes are still pretty cool. Plus you get a lot of looks riding an old pos.

Ben, Please don't take this the wrong way, That bike is Nerdy cool!
I really like it! Enjoy my friend!

I don't think I have met a bike I didn't like... seriously.

100% agree. It is nerdy cool. Matches my nerdy cool IH Scout and /6 Notch.. Like most FABO folks, I like my stuff 'a little different'... That's why we dont drive chebbys..

-
Back