Jeep 4.0 in 69 Barracuda

-
It was only 20yrs ago when you couldnt give a A-Body away. Now anything that is in good shape (aka road worthy) is starting at $8000 to $10000. I am surprised what $3k is finding. Poor enough condition that it should be stripped down and restored. In my opinion, no where near road worthy with the amount of rust and floor pan damage. Just restorable.

I am not buying a car any time soon. I need to save $10K.

Happy Holidays to all. Santa has visited me early this year. I was able to buy the QA1 coil over conversion kit for the barracuda. The project is back on track.

From the center of the engine to the outside edge of the starter motor is just under 9.5 inches. And from center of the engine to the outer edge of the starter solenoid is just under 11 inches. So I measured 11in from the center of the K-Frame to see whats in my way, and there is nothing. The lower control arm brackets are at least 12inches out from center. And those are the most narrow point in the kit. I am super excited. I almost gave up on this and built up a slant six. I am giving this engine 1 last chance before I go back to original 318 or a slant six.

I have a Cherokee in the garage right now getting transmission lines installed. Afterwards a Mk4 (2003) Jetta wagon TDi 5sp is going in the garage for a engine/clutch/transmission replacement. I am hoping to get the barracuda in the garage by mid Jan.

I will keep everyone posted.

Happy Holidays,
John

Last edited:
Hello everyone, guess who's back..... And I have great news.

It took some time to get myself motivated to move forward on this, with help from family and friends pushing me, Last weekend I installed the QA1 k-frame and steering rack from the kit for test fitment. I am super excited to say everything is going to fit. My current CJ mid sump oil pan will work and avoid the steering rack. I will be installing the factory 4.0L rear sump oil pan in the end.

The Starter FITS. I am super stoked about this.

Now I need to remove those parts and perform some clean up work on the chassis. As well as it looks like I may need/want some large flat washers to add to the oem K-Frame bolts as they dont want to seat down all the way. Plus some clean up needs to be done.

I also need to build the new engine mounts to go between the K-Frame and Engine. More to come on that.

In short, the project is moving again. Here are 2 pictures.

Hopefully next update will be the end of April. I need buy some items like myself another engine load leveler as mine has disappeared. As well as engine mount material.

I am thinking of the factory QA1 small block mounts with the C channel cut off and replaced with a Hiem Joint. Then weld tabs on my engine mount plates on the engine.

20240317_161320.jpg

20240317_143731.jpg

Congrats and super happy for you! What was the change with the starter issue that made it work? I still am a bit amazed that the 4.0 isn't too tall for this call.

Congrats and super happy for you! What was the change with the starter issue that made it work? I still am a bit amazed that the 4.0 isn't too tall for this call.
The new K-Frame and suspension kit from QA1. That solved the issue which caused the lack of space. Now I have a complete HDK suspension kit with NO car to put it in. Dang, now I need to buy another A-Body. :-D

I would be interested in it for the valiant in the picture in my avatar. It is hitting over 150 in the 1/4, thinking upgrade LOL.

Now I can install a factory 4.0L with No modification to the engine or the car. Just very expensive parts and minor fab work.

To get engine installed....
Custom Transmission mount
Custom Engine Mounts
QA1 tube k-frame and suspension kit.

Then of course fuel management whether you go carb or fuel injection.

We will see how the radiator works out. I believe I have enough room for the radiator to sit factory and a Flex-a-Lite fan pushing thru the radiator. May need to go with a full size dual core radiator. Time will tell.

Note: The engine shown in the picture is my mock engine. If it is like a typical 4.0L and runs, great. My goal is to build a new engine for my wrangler and move that engine to the barracuda once the fab work is complete. I have collected the parts for a 4.7 stroker to be installed in the wrangler and there is nothing wrong with the engine in it. This one has been abused and most likely wont start.

REmember these 4.0s don't exactly have a heavy duty radiator stock and don't overheat easily- coming from someone living in the tropics- might source a stock XJ radiator, which is paper thin compared to the A body mopar ones- and they used both and electric and mechanical fan stock. I just thought of the XJ radiator off hand because I just changed one recently- pretty small and neat unit. Looks like it would fit an abody perfect

REmember these 4.0s don't exactly have a heavy duty radiator stock and don't overheat easily- coming from someone living in the tropics- might source a stock XJ radiator, which is paper thin compared to the A body mopar ones- and they used both and electric and mechanical fan stock. I just thought of the XJ radiator off hand because I just changed one recently- pretty small and neat unit. Looks like it would fit an abody perfect
Thats right. I think its also a single core radiator. My only concern would be how wide. Though I can open the area of the radiator in the barracuda, I am trying to avoid those kinds of changes.

I have a 97 XJ, I bet I have a spare radiator to test with. When wheeling, its always a good idea to keep a few spare parts in-case the need of a trail repair when parts are not available.

-
Back