Kb356 pistons

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used these yet ? Im wonde how much needs to be milled to use them with closed chambered heads and if you would use them again ?

Adam, Those are step/dish pistons for 4" stroker motors (408 cid). With the step at zero deck you will be less than 10:1 assuming 64cc for a magnum had.

Also, If you are using LA rods you will have to have the small end narrowed to 1" to fit the piston. It was for this reason I stayed away from the step/dish pistons that KB has for magnum heads, I didn't want to add cost to reworking stock rods or have to machine the brand new Eagle rods that I wound up purchasing.

If you are thinking of going this way I recently picked up a complete magnum engine that I will sell you the rods for $50 for the set if you are considering going that way.

I have a 5.2 I could rob the rods out of but I want this motor to be atleast 10:1 so those pistons wont work.

If you were to use a head gasket with a 0.020" compressed thickness or machined the heads to get the chambers to 60cc you would be just over 10:1.

The dish volume in those pistons is 23.5 cc, a typical Fel-Pro head gasket has a 4.180 bore and a compressed thickness of 0.039 and the magnum heads have a chamber volume of approx 64cc.

Here is a slick calculator that you can play around with different specs to work out the compression ratio you want.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

mopar makes the .24 compressed head gasket.

steve

-
Back