LCA Pivot Shafts

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Im getting ready to rebuild a set of LCA and I already have the pivot shafts out. When I picked these up they didnt have the washers or nuts with them. Im curious however, when do you decide to purchase new pivot shafts, or reuse the originals?

If I reuse the originals does anyone know what size nut to use on the shafts? Thanks everyone

The nut is a 15/16 on the hex, and a fine thread, not sure on the thread size.

only reason to replace is for obvious damage, stripped threads or bent, otherwise they are fine to re-use

Thank you guys, I believe mine are straight and have no issues. So far it looks to be about $80 for a pair of the shafts and would rather spend that money else where.

I sell used cleaned and painted ones for $14.99 plus shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231402876262?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

lcpivot.jpg

I watched Junkyard Cars taking the bushing shells out of some lower arms the other night with an air chisel and ouch! I bet he scarred the bores big time. I've done them that way in the past and also used a torch to slot them down the side. Both can end up marking up or scarring the bore. I like welding a washer on and using a press the best. I know everyone at home doesn't have the tools for that but you would think a "pro" shop would....

Im getting ready to rebuild a set of LCA and I already have the pivot shafts out. When I picked these up they didnt have the washers or nuts with them. Im curious however, when do you decide to purchase new pivot shafts, or reuse the originals?

If I reuse the originals does anyone know what size nut to use on the shafts? Thanks everyone

They are either 9/16 or 5/8 thread, I can't remember for sure, and I believe it's fine thread.

Find a good parts store/hardware store that carries grade 8 nuts in 9/16" or 5/8" and match it up.

I like to chase the threads on the shafts with a die before reusing to clean up the threads...

They are either 9/16 or 5/8 thread, I can't remember for sure, and I believe it's fine thread.

Find a good parts store/hardware store that carries grade 8 nuts in 9/16" or 5/8" and match it up.

I like to chase the threads on the shafts with a die before reusing to clean up the threads...

Good idea, that is simple enough! I can do that and perhaps I will have a spare set that are good.

I just sold 5 sets this week. I'm pretty much out until I get another parts car
:)
Thanks guys!

No, thank you Greg!

I just dug one out and checked.

You need a 5/8 - 18 NF grade 8 nut and a washer to go with it.

I also recommend buying a matching die to chase the threads on your shafts. 5/8 - 18 NF.

-
Back