Leak into trunk

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
I was looking in my trunk today, under the mat, found some water. Had the wife take the hose to it while i was in the trunk with a flashlight.

Turns out it is coming from the bottom of the window.

There is no trim on it. What is the best sealer i can get for selaing the window? Does it need to be completely dry before i can seal it?

For a quick fix..I once used clear "window seal" silicone, that has a very fine tip to get under the seal itself. (It worked) I think the area has to be dry for a good contact. Use a hair dryer in the area if small.

The car had a brand new Rear window weatherstrip in the trunk. Do I actually have to take the rear window on the Scamp out to replace it?

I would do it rite and take the window out and find out why it was leaking. Other wise you could be chasing that leak for a long time, and never get it stoped. Dave

Thanks Jaws, I found a suspect crack in it yesterday, and ran water over it. Its leaking there for sure. I was checking out a few websites explaining how to do it. They all say to use a string, i dont quite get what the string is for. Does anyone have a website that explains this procedure?

When I took out the back window in the 72 with a razorblade by just cutting the gasket out. I have also used a guitar string, you use it like a saw to cut through the gasket.

It's kind of hard to explain, but I will try.

Your on the outside, a buddy is in the backseat. Push a piece of wire to him under the gasket so you both have one end of it. Wrap it around a dowel rod or something so you can get a grip and you use this like a saw to seperate the gasket from the body of the car. You just work it all the way around the glass. This way you don't have to pry on your glass and maybe break it.

Well read 340 Dart.
I have dun this a few time's this way and it work's good

OH, OK, So you use it to get the old one out. Is putting a new one on pretty easy? Put the gasket around the window, or put the gasket on the body and then slip(or manhandle) the window into it?

OH, OK, So you use it to get the old one out. Is putting a new one on pretty easy? Put the gasket around the window, or put the gasket on the body and then slip(or manhandle) the window into it?

There must be a website somewhere explaining this, but I cant find one.

Sorry I can't help you here. I always have the pros come out and put it in for me.

That way I have somebody to blame when it flies out at 100 mph. :toothy7:

-
Back