Leaking axle seal 8 3/4

-
Hey quick question for some of you guys, I know this thread is kind of old, but who cares. I've had a leaky passenger side for a while now, I've replaced the seals twice and had a local machine shop try to fix the groove in the axle where the seal is, but it hasn't seemed to help.

Where can I get one of these axle sleeves y'all were talking about? I've never even heard of one. Also If the sleeve doesn't solve the issue, where can I get a new axle shaft? The only place I've seen that carries them is classic industries. Would I have to replace both shafts if I did this? FYI this is for my e-body! Thanks for the advice guys!

I just dismantled a 1975 7 1/4 rear right now, and took the old outer gasket and placed it on an 8 3/4 rear. It has 5 studs. Is there differences from year to year ?

I just dismantled a 1975 7 1/4 rear right now, and took the old outer gasket and placed it on an 8 3/4 rear. It has 5 studs. Is there differences from year to year ?

Not positive but I think the gaskets are all the same on 7-1/4, 8-1/4 and 8-3/4. Maybe even Dana.

Not sure about the 8 1/4 but I could check the jeep if they didn't change it. The rest I agree with you.

Most not all Cherokee's have your basic 8 1/4 Chrysler rear. The thing is have they improved them over the years, or changed them. I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread, but it makes me wonder if there's any truth to the whole "green bearing suck for the street thing." I know 8 1/4 uses c clip bearings, and I think they are ball bearings, just like the new green bearings. Which makes me wonder if buying a rear disc brake kit is silly too, since some late model jeeps have rear discs. I wonder if you just need the correct bearings to swap them ?

-
Back