leaks!

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
New motor I had built and took my time very carefully making sure things were 100% clean. Used quality gaskets and sealer. Used my matco torque wrenches with correct torques. I have a leak starting somewhere up top. Seems like it still maybe the valve cover gasket even after I replaced it and double checked everything was clean and straight. Also a couple spots on the head under some plug tubes are lightly oiled. But doesn't seem like too much. But passenger side of the block under the rear corner of the head has a good amount of oil where it all seems to collect. Right up against the bell housing area where there is a pocket kind of thing. Then drips down under the bell housing. I always leave few quarter sized marks on the ground where ever I go. Also noticed the passenger tie rod is soaked and dripping oil. Unsure how oil finds its way there.

I have been keeping an eye on things regularly and just noticed wetness out of the passenger front corner of the pan coming from between the pan and timing cover. No drips or runs just wet. But will eventually start to drip. What is weird is it took over a week to leak there... I am unsure if it's wise to check torque on oil pan bolts while sealer was used.

I suppose this is a rant. Just annoyed how I took my time and didn't seem to make a difference I guess that's why I always read "it's a dodge, it leaks"

Valve covers. Pan and timing is a problem area, you can try cleaning it and smearing some Permatex Right stuff on, but that just slows it down. For pan, another 1/4 turn may help. Valve; new gaskets.

Used quality gaskets and sealer

"Sealer" can do the opposite of what you want it to do if it allows a gasket to slip out of position during installation.

a leak starting somewhere

Go get a bottle of UV-fluorescent dye and a "black light blue" fluorescent tube. Install the former in your engine and the latter in your fluorescent droplight. Clean the engine thoroughly with a grease cutter (Gunk or Simple Green or such). Run the engine. Shine the UV light on it to see where the oil's coming from, then you'll know where "somewhere" is.

I have been keeping an eye on things regularly and just noticed wetness out of the passenger front corner of the pan coming from between the pan and timing cover.

The "Bermuda Triangle" of the slant-6 engine. Very difficult to seal, and it's one of those areas where improperly- or excessively-applied "sealer" often causes more problems than it prevents.

Also noticed the passenger tie rod is soaked and dripping oil.
Check for leaking power steering gear.

The power steering gear is on the driver's side, and AFAIK the OP is not in Australia, New Zealand, the RSA, the UK, or another LH-traffic country.

Check for leaking power steering gear.

Well that was just plain dumb, guess I was envisioning the other passenger’s side… Never mind the brain fart generated power steering comment. Gezz what a dope.

-
Back