Lifter Replacement??

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Seems there has been some lifter stories as of late, so let me add to it. I have yet another motor with a lifter click. It is only one lifter on the right hand bank, somwhere in the middle of the bank. I have had the comp lifters in with my comp cam for 4,000 miles so far, or about 8 months. I can't totally recall if there was a slight tick with the stock lifters and cam. The motor has some miles on it and has never been rebuilt. It is a 318 with good high mile oil pressure, at least 14-15 psi at hot 750 RPM idle, 20 psi at 950 RPM, 54 psi at hot 2300 RPM. The clicking has existed in a higher, louder pitch since the new cam was installed. Other than the noise, it runs awesome. There is no debris in my Valvoline VR1 oil and it doesn't use any oil at all. Since it is one lifter, I figured it may be a lifter bore slightly worn, since it may have had a quiet click before the cam swap. Does this sound like a lifter bore or just a lifter? It is non adjustable setup. There seems to be oil on all of the rockers after it had been run and there is oil on the inside of the valve cover as well, so no apparent oil issues. BTW, the rockers and pushrods and shafts were replaced a week ago to no avail, and they are installed correctly. Should I change right side lifters? Thanks.:angry7::toothy10:

I should also mention that I hear no knocks from the lifters, just a constant click from one of the right side lifters.

you sure it isn't an exhaust leak....that will sound like a ticking sometimes.

I have a broken stud on the rear of my passenger side manifold, but it is not leaking there. The exhaust shop confirmed that with a stethascope. Its a lifter somewhere in the center of the passenger side valve train.

Are you sure its a lifter??..when a lifter is bad the noise usually comes and goes.it not consistent...

Are you sure its a lifter??..when a lifter is bad the noise usually comes and goes.it not consistent...

It is very consistant, a little quieter with temp, but not too much. Its not a death noise, but just a general consistant click heard at all RPM's, louder at 950 RPM than 750 RPM for example. Can't think of what else it would be.

-
Back