lights pulsating when engine is running.

-

Moparian

Reaction score
What causes the lights on my 1974 duster to pulsate When idling or low rpm's. Stops at higher rpm's.Any help unappreciated.Im new here.

My guess is a bad alternator. It should put out plenty of current at idle for that not to happen.

Put a hand held meter on the battery and see what your voltage is doing. I had this problem on my 70 Dart and the voltage was jumping up and down at the battery. I replaced the voltage regulator and it reads steady and the lights stopped pulsing. Make sure your regulator is grounded good. also the engine.

Put a hand held meter on the battery and see what your voltage is doing. I had this problem on my 70 Dart and the voltage was jumping up and down at the battery. I replaced the voltage regulator and it reads steady and the lights stopped pulsing. Make sure your regulator is grounded good. also the engine.
Thanks guys! Just got the car and it has a brand new altenator so I'll check the voltage reg.

Ha. Did ALL that crap in my dart, to no avail.

Culprit? The instrument module regulator. Built a solid state piece like Rick e did, And problem solved!

Also the radio stops spuratically and as when it stops so do the wipers and turn signals.

THAT is a low power supply to the cabin (or everywhere)
Does it have the OEM amp meter in it still, and do you know if the MAD electrical bypass has been done?
Might also want to have a good look at the bulkhead connector for overheated wires and connectors.

These cars never had a good supply for electric accessories and the radio cutting out is a classic sign of low voltage.

You have a lot of reading to do along the electrical upgrade lines.

-
Back