lots of little questions pertainting to an 8 3/4 swap

-

SirDan

Reaction score
ive got an a body 8 3/4 im going to put into my 73. i bought moser BBP axles for it. ive heard something about removing the thrust blocks to put new axles in? whats the deal with this could anyone explain? i dont belive it said anything like that in the directions that came with the axles. what do the thrust blocks even look like?

Do i need a different driveshaft? im going from a 8 1/4 to 8 3/4

i have another 8 3/4 with 11 inch break backing plates. my dads friend said they might stick out more. is this true?

Should go right in. Just adjust end play unless you also have Green Bearings. Driveshaft should also work. Check for a gap between yoke flange and trans tailhousing. 11" brakes should work but may change calibration on proportioning valve. I'd skip them.

oh what about the emergency brake cables? will the 8 1/4 ones work? my rearend came with cables but the guy said they are from an early A body i think and he said they wont work.

use the the emergency brake cables from your car, they may even be the same on one side. The 8 1/4 ones should work. As I remember, You may be able to drill one hole and use your backing plates. Maybe you won't even need to disconnect the brake lines. Double check though.

this is what the thrust block looks like...

fa9zyp.jpg

-
Back