Made in America!

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
The company I work for has shower door displays in Home Depot, Lowes and in glass shops through out the west. These displays USED to me made in Mexico NOT ANYMORE!!! They wanted to bring as much work back in house as they could to try and cut costs because of the economy, they knew I could weld and fab stuff pretty well so I redesigned a few things and started building them. It feels pretty good to see them back in the shipping department with one of these stickers on them! (I'm guessing the roll of stickers is probably made in China though :toothy10: )

Photo0029.jpg

Photo0028.jpg

Photo0027.jpg

Photo0025.jpg

The old made in Mexico ones had this lazy susan thing on the bottom that was pretty handy but made the whole thing a overpriced pain in the *** to work on, move around and crate.

They start out as a bunch of 20' 1"x2" then I cut them down to size. The bases start as 24' 1 1/2"x4".

Photo0013.jpg

Photo0014.jpg

I love this thing!!!
Photo0023.jpg

Harbor Freight sucks! I killed this little bastard after a few projects.
Photo0024.jpg

My welding table I made with a 320lb top. It has a built in and removable jig for another type of display. I use 2' angle iron bolted to the table with the nuts welded to the underside. I still need to put on some locking casters.

Photo0016.jpg

I build all 4 sides, then weld them all together, set them on the base, weld the tower to the base then grind until I hate it then grind some more.

Photo0017.jpg

These are ready to got the powder coaters.

Photo0015.jpg

Photo0020.jpg

Along with welding I'm also in charge of plant maintenance so I get to fix anything and everything that goes wrong so I have boxes of stuff like lube system parts for all our aluminum saws, parts for hydraulic punches, plumbing parts, automatic door hinges (I hate those things, people need to not be lazy and just learn how to close the damn door behind them! ).
Photo0019.jpg

I weld and grind right above glass, lots and lots of glass :-D I used a lot of hardy backer for the walls, 18 sheets of 5'x10' 22GA sheet overlapped by 2" on all sides and tack welded in place for the floor. I went through 2 rolls of thick aluminum tape fireproofing all the seams and edges on the floor, installed 2 1900sq ft attic vent fans for the fumes and dust and the place works great!
It is up in the back corner of one of the buildings, no phone or intercom, people leave me alone and I work by myself!

Photo0022.jpg

If I get a case of the "slows" or I don't feel like working I stare at this a for a little bit and it puts me back in the mood to bust my ***. I love this pic, guys weren't afraid to goto work, get dirty, you didn't get reprimanded for calling someone a worthless pile of crap if they couldn't do their job without Fing something up, and damn near everything that mattered was MADE IN AMERICA!
Photo0018.jpg

Photo0029.jpg

Cool, I love to see that sticker. I wish more people would look for it when making purchases.

Sounds like you are really digging the new job. It's nice to be left alone to do your thing. Looks you got everything handled and the displays look great!

How do like that Jet bandsaw? I mean compared to something like a Dake? IIRC, the Jets are imported.

It's the display that's made in USA, not the shower door - correct?
Congrats on the job, nice work.
C

It is 5000 times better than the small H.F. one that I was using. I knew it was imported but it was the best one that was with in the allowed amount that I was given to spend on one at the time and it came with free shipping and a free 5 gallons of coolant as well. I haven't had any problems with it yet and it cuts great.

It is 5000 times better than the small H.F. one that I was using. I knew it was imported but it was the best one that was with in the allowed amount that I was given to spend on one at the time and it came with free shipping and a free 5 gallons of coolant as well. I haven't had any problems with it yet and it cuts great.

Just curious and thanks for the input. I see these and Jet drill presses every now and again on craigslist and needed some qualified input.

BTW, if your a member of the Craftsman Club the 750x Drill Doctor is on sale for 139.95 at Sears. I saw you were looking for one earlier.

It's the display that's made in USA, not the shower door - correct?
Congrats on the job, nice work.
C

The doors are assembled and packaged on site in Seattle. Unfortunately a lot of the the "stock" size glass is from over seas. We specialize in custom size doors and panels and for those we use a local glass company that makes it in house in Everett, WA and Vancouver, BC. The aluminum is shipped to us in long stock lengths from California (not sure where they get it from) and we cut, notch, and drill it in house.
We had a 500lb 8' 1/2" x 9' panel come in the other day that just barley fit in the back door of the freight truck.

Just curious and thanks for the input. I see these and Jet drill presses every now and again on craigslist and needed some qualified input.

BTW, if your a member of the Craftsman Club the 750x Drill Doctor is on sale for 139.95 at Sears. I saw you were looking for one earlier.

Look around, you can get a better deal than that. I got one for work at the local hardware store (nonbox store)for $90 not on sale a while ago.

I have seen JETs on CL for around used for $500. The right kind of coolant is the important thing. Right now I am using Rustlick Powersaw coolant in a 10 to 1 coolant/water mix and it works pretty well.

Look around, you can get a better deal than that. I got one for work at the local hardware store (nonbox store)for $90 not on sale a while ago.

I have seen JETs on CL for around used for $500. The right kind of coolant is the important thing. Right now I am using Rustlick Powersaw coolant in a 10 to 1 coolant/water mix and it works pretty well.

Excellent information and thanks again. I'm hemming and hawing between a plasma cutter and a band saw. Obviously I want both, lol. Just trying to find out which one is going come first.

That's good stuff man! i always look at the country of origin before purchasing and here lately i refuse to buy anything from china ! it really burns me up to find things made over seas that has been an american brand /and they still want to get top dollar a good example is levis i won't be buying any more of them i have a couple pairs the wife got for me 1 made in bangladesh and the other indonesia! the thing some company's just don't get is some of us would pay more for certain things if they were made here quality is what counts the most ! and the pride never hurts either/ buy USA !

You amaze me with your skill's 8) Glad to have you here in the USA to show there is some smart hard working men here that will get things dun and dun right, I liked the **** to do note :-D

-
Back