Magnum 5.9L-- which motor oil/weight?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I'm getting close to firing up my Dart with the swapped motor (March deadline) and I'm going to change the oil before turning the key. It occurs to me that this is a different motor and I shouldn't take anything for granted...

Which oil types do the Magnum motors like?
What weight?
Do you guys run synthetic?

It looks like the good old Fram PH8A filter will fit...is there a larger filter that might provide some extra oil capacity?

Thanks for once again, tolerating my novice questions. :cheers:
-Mike

The PH8A is the comon regular size filter, and as far as I know the big one.
I know there is a shorter one people that run headers use.

Synthetics will find anyplace there could be an oil leak and take advantage of it, but obviously it's a good way to go for a new motor (More expensive though)

If you want a good oil at a decent price look into Rotella T 15-40
It has 1,200 ppm of zinc and is thin enough to flow well.
One gallon containers are about 14 bucks.

Castrol and Valvoline racing are really good oils also, but they don't have the zinc content that the older engines like.
Zinc was removed from oils for the most part in the 70's and was one of the reasons there was an upturn in cam and lifter failures (Especially solids)

There are a ton of oppinions on oil here, so get ready.

I use a PH16 filter and Valvoline 10w30 "high mileage" because it is a syn blend, and reasonably priced.

Just like LA engines the valves will tell you if it's a quart low, or if it's time to change- should you be otherwise unaware.

My 2000 Dakota R/T is about to cross the 150,000 line in a few months.

I've run the Rotella T in my 73 Satellite 318.

Not necessary for the Magnum unless you are putting in a non-roller cam.

-
Back