Magnum and Wiring Swap

-
Got it installed and it was just bad as I thought it would be with the harness and the A/C box.
Top view. It's buried in there.
20240606_170649.jpg

Bottom view. It's right on top of the evaporator housing. I'll have to get creative with the plastic duct work.
20240606_170704.jpg

With it being jammed in here, the spring for the windshield washer can't push the knob and shaft back out. Just have to keep that in mind and hope it wears itself some clearance.

Thanks! I wanted to keep as many of the Dakota's modern (in comparison) features as possible. Cruise control is on the list too, just have to figure out how to drive the VSS and the speedometer.
I would like to see how you made the cruise work, if you don't mind.
No problem, I did my first ever build thread for the cruise upgrade: Rewiring my EFI Magnum - 1970 Dart Swinger

You might find I got a little side tracked and did several upgrades that weren't part of the original plan. If you're short on time most of the cruise control stuff is on page 2. Otherwise give the whole thread a read and let me know if you have any questions.

I posted the PCM part nunumber and asked about if VTSS could be turned off in the Magnum EFI group. Here are screen shots of that conversation.
Screenshot_20240608_103026_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240608_103047_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240608_103336_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240608_103400_Facebook.jpg

I kind of think that I am the only one that has ever thought about actually using VTSS instead of fighting or fearing it. But that is kind of a separate question from what you asked on FB.

I kind of think that I am the only one that has ever thought about actually using VTSS instead of fighting or fearing it. But that is kind of a separate question from what you asked on FB.
I like your idea of using it. I would do the same if I had the CTM and power door locks. I just want to make sure I won't have any issues because of missing hardware.

I don't often buy from forums or online groups for that very reason. When I do take that risk I use Paypal goods and services and pay the extra fee. So far I have been lucky and haven't been burned trying to buy Mopar parts or parts for my 85 Supra. Yet.

I was asking because I didn't use a speed sensor when I was running a 904, and the engine use to backfire (afterfire?) through the exhaust on deceleration. Not like a modern performance tuned BMW, but it was bad enough that I didn't like it. Then I upgraded to a 46rh, but I wanted to keep my mechanical speedo so rather than figure out a solution I initially used pressure switches to control the OD and lockup.

Before long I found my answer: late 80s / early 90s mechanical speed sensor, like on a 91 Dakota (for example). As a bonus to having the PCM control OD and LU, and still having my mechanical speedo, I found as soon as I connected a speed sensor the afterfiring out the exhaust stopped happening on deceleration. Apparently the PCM will give the engine a bit of idle air on deceleration and that prevents the afterfiring. I have heard this problem doesn't exist with later OBD2 setups that aren't using a speed sensor, so maybe the engineers figured out a different way to prevent it from happening.

Here's the sensor I used:

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS SC108

View attachment 1716259330

You can see one side screws into the speedo gear output on the transmission, there's a mechanical speedo output, and a 2 wire sensor connection. A few notes...

- I replaced my speedo cable with one from a 91 Dakota. It has a 5/8" nut as opposed to the 7/8" that would be used on the 904, and it has the push-on connector on the speedo side. At 80 inches it's a couple inches long even for my 46rh (but manageable), so it might be too much for a 904. I'm not sure if they make a shorter 68 inch cable with the 5/8" nut and push-on speedo end.

When I put in the 46rh I had one of these cables to extend my stock speedo cable to reach the 46rh speedo gear housing. I really wanted to find one with the 5/8" nut on the transmission end because that would have been perfect, but I couldn't find one anywhere.

I also looked into getting this guy's HM105T adapter, but he wanted some insane amount of money for what is essentially a nut with threads on the inside and outside, so I opted not to go with that. In hindsight, I should have just spent that money or had one machined locally. I didn't have fun replacing my speedo cable, and this would have made that unnecessary.

- You'll note that I mentioned it's a 2 wire mechanical sensor. One wire is the signal to the PCM, the other wire is a ground. The Magnum setup uses an electronic sensor, which has a 3 wire connector to the speed sensor: signal, ground, and power. With my setup I simply don't use the power wire and it works to control OD and lockup perfectly. I think the 2 wire connector is the same one from the OBD1 EVAP or EGR, because I had one in my pile of left over wiring that fit perfectly.

Also note that the later OBD2 setups don't use a speed sensor on the transmission, it's on the differential somewhere (I think - not on the trans, anyway). I think the last year for it on the trans is 1998, so if you do your OBD2 upgrade and use a later PCM and you need a speed sensor for one reason or another, you will have to consider this.

I think that covers everything, and should hopefully give you some options to consider.
I must have missed your message. I have bought and sold a bunch of parts over Facebook Marketplace using their payment system which has a goods and services option, and PayPal without any problems. This guy wanted to use Zelle. I figured since it was a service my bank offered, there wouldn't be any problems. That wasn't the case.
This is excellent information. I saw that sensor come up on a different thread when I was looking for ideas, but they didn't follow up on it and I didn't think it would work going from a hall effect to a VR sensor. But if it has worked for you I'll use it.
It's interesting that you mentioned the backfiring on deceleration. I've done everything I could to make sure my exhaust is sealed up and it continued to sound like it had an exhaust leak. I thought I was going to need resonators or a new set of headers.

Last edited:
No problem, I did my first ever build thread for the cruise upgrade: Rewiring my EFI Magnum - 1970 Dart Swinger

You might find I got a little side tracked and did several upgrades that weren't part of the original plan. If you're short on time most of the cruise control stuff is on page 2. Otherwise give the whole thread a read and let me know if you have any questions.
I read your build and it's great. Again, thanks for posting it. The only question I have for now is where did you get the cruise control buttons?

Well, I replaced the MAP sensor and set out to put some miles on the car. On the initial test drive in the neighborhood, it fumbled and backfired a bit then cleared up. It started running better so I decided to go further. My wife and I (because breakdowns are more fun with company) drove it around 100 miles or so yesterday and it seemed to run pretty good. The CEL came on a few times, I assumed for the missing VSS. I'll run the self diagnostic and confirm later.
The only weirdness I noticed is that after filling the gas tank, it started fumbling at low RPM loads during acceleration. My guess is that how I have the EVAP system hooked up is causing it. I'm using the Tanks, Inc. EFI conversion tank with their new fuel lines and a GM returnless filter/pressure regulator. The tank has an external vent/roll over valve positioned above the filler neck.

You know, after thinking about it I think there's something wrong with the wiring to the MAP sensor. The DTC chart just has a generic description for a sensor fault for an OBD I code 14, but OBD II has three, two for high/low voltage and one a sensor fault.
I checked voltage at the connector and it had little over 5 volts on the power side, but it also had just under 5 volts on the signal wire. I bet the power and signal wires are making contact somewhere. I'll get into it and see if I can find it.

-
Back