magnum heads

-

72plumDuster

Reaction score
can magnum heads fit and work right on a 340 block? and if they can is there anything that needs to be done to them or the block? also can i use the 340 intake ? thanks

yes they will work but maybe not the best choice. You will have to mod the heads to make the old intake fit. (bolt angl is different) also need a swap kit (from mopar eg) Prbly have to do some intake port matching also. Id just look for some old 360 heads if it were me. It be alot closer to a stock 340. IDK, I've never heard of anyone using Mag heads on a 340.

yes they will work but maybe not the best choice. You will have to mod the heads to make the old intake fit. (bolt angl is different) also need a swap kit (from mopar eg) Prbly have to do some intake port matching also. Id just look for some old 360 heads if it were me. It be alot closer to a stock 340. IDK, I've never heard of anyone using Mag heads on a 340.
ok thank you for an answer.
i have a 340 running 12.1compression and i am trying to use pump fuel instead of race fuel. what choices do i have if any? rather not change the pistons unless this is the only or best choice.

The magnum head is closed chambered so It will raise your compression even more. You need to swap pistons

Magnum heads are probably not your best choice. The chambers may even be smaller than your 340 heads. If your looking to lower compression I would go with some j-heads and maybe a custom cometec head gasket set to lower the compression.

hey, I jus noticed you are from south Jersey, I am originally from Vineland.
Any way, if you are going to try to get the comp ratio down, the magnums are a step in the wrong direction, I would just find some 360 heads and open up the chambers a bit and then use some thick head gaskets. I dont know of any good machine shops down that way anymore but a good machinist would have some ideas. You could also go with aluminum heads as they can take more compression on the pump gas. Another option would be to run a fairly big cam to bleed down the compression. Whatever option you choose you miht have a hard time getting the compression down to a point where it is tolerable on the street. The magnums have smaller chambers which would make more compression.

anyone want to buy a set of 2.02 1.62 magnum heads that were ported by shady dell with less than 100 miles?

Those would be a nice set of heads for someone to pick up. I run ported Magnums with 2.02's and my 360 will get up and go. I dyno'd 392 HP with this setup before I made some improvements.

Jack

-
Back