mailing cards

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
i am a retired U.S. Postal Service employee. My job there was to run the machine that put the cancelation mark on the stamp, my wife's job was to repair everything that got wrecked in the machines. If you want to be sure all of your Christmas cards get there, do not trust the glue on the flap. And do not think some little sticker in the middle of the flap will work either. Tape the entire flap shut. All of the machines in the post office are loaded with sorting gates. If a piece of mail gets in the machine where the flap is not sealed, the gates become letter openers. Often times an open flap letter will get hung up on a gate and with the speeds the machines run a "train wreck" will happen. The trian wreck will then often be removed with pliers, usually doing damage to all the mail that was involved in the wreck. This time of year my wife and at least 3 other people would work 12 hours a day repairing mail....

want to have some fun with a postal employee (and blow a boat load of belts off of a machine) cut a piece of fender or what have you about the size of a business envelope and put a wave in it. just about guaranteed to remove every belt it comes across as well as scaring the hell out of whoever is near it......not that i have ever it happen to me or nothing......

No offense to any former or current postal employees but I would advise anyone NOT to put tape on any envelopes .Some of My family has been having issues with mail theft .Seems thieves be they post office employees or thugs target envelopes with tape on them thinking they contain money or gift cards . Just My opinion based on recent experience . I just make sure the envelopes are fully sealed . Never a problem.

No offense to any former or current postal employees but I would advise anyone NOT to put tape on any envelopes .Some of My family has been having issues with mail theft .Seems thieves be they post office employees or thugs target envelopes with tape on them thinking they contain money or gift cards . Just My opinion based on recent experience . I just make sure the envelopes are fully sealed . Never a problem.
an individual i used to work with was just fired this very thing. glad you have never had an issue, but i worked there for almost 20 years, and during the Christmas rush often ran a 300,000 letters a day. just telling you what i seen. all it takes is the very top of the flap, where there often is no glue to be a bit loose and your mail very well might be seen as a double by the machine and get kicked out or get snagged on a gate. on our busy days it was not uncommon to have to repair 10-15 thousand letters. the worst offenders were often lawyers, often times they would drop 500 or so cards in the box and not seal 1 of them......

:thumbup: Thanks for the info on taping the envelopes. I bought some self-sealing envelopes from Costco and had them custom printed w/ a return address and they don't seal :compress: . I have been taping them closed for awhile.

-
Back