Maintenance

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Once again I have proven to myself how important it is......and that blowing it off is asking for trouble. Our 99 Explorer starting acting up. While making tight turns it was acting like it was inn 4 wheel drive. It has the Control Trac t-case in it, so it was. Joined an Explorer forum to ask a few questions. Ends up that the clutch in the t-case was seized. Before I pull the old one out I decided to change the fluid, which I have never done in the 100k that we have put on it. I pulled the plugs on the case and was greeted by black as coal atf that had the aroma of old gear oil. And was not the least bit slickery at all. Going ot put the front drive shaft back in and see what happens before pulling the old t-case out. So I have learned my lesson, again, about changing fluids. I know there are some folks that say short duration fluid changes are a waste of $$ but I will be putting everything back on a yearly/biyearly change for transmission, t-case and gear oils. Just not worth pushing your luck to save a few $$'s.....

Ouch...Right on, though. They recommend diff gear lube change at 15k and transmission/transfer case fluids check/change at 30k on my Wrangler...And I do it. Not worth it to me to end up repairing/replacing expensive bits cause I didn't do some maintenance.

You would think that after having been playing around with motor vehicles for 30 years or so I would know better.....

I try to change the gear oil in my "weak" 8 1/4 rear every few years...well I have been since sinking $700 in to it back in 1997 getting 3.91 gears and a new posi unit installed. Never had a problem with it and gosh knows how many miles--over 50,000 for sure.

I believe I should have done it again last season but blew it off.

-
Back