Master cylinder recommendations

-

eholster

Reaction score
I recently did a Scarebird front disk brake conversion on my '66 Barracuda. It was orginally 4 wheel drums, with a booster, and the stock master cylinder. I am going to replace the master and want to know if there is a recommendation for one that will be better suited for the disk/drum set up. Any input is appreciated.

As a side note, the booster was full of fluid, and the gasket is torn - any source for these?

Thanks!

The master cylinder would have had to be leaking if there was fluid in the booster.

I used a volare/aspen 1976-80 master cylinder on mine with the plastic fluid tank.

You will need an adapter to run one ,4 bolt to 2 bolt, jegs or summit has them in stock

'74 Charger with manual disc brakes. Bolts right up, no booster needed, feels like power brakes and will run you around 25 bucks at most any auto parts store. What's not to like? Been on every Mopar I've owned since 1977. That's when I traded in my '74 Charger. A manual brake pushrod is a lot cheaper than a booster as well.

I pulled everything apart - the booster was full of brake fluid and water... there is a lot of corrosion and the diaphragm is scored. Grumpus - the Charge MC is an interesting approach. Are the pushrods readily available? I am also looking at all the MC / booster kits available on line but wondering why all of them have a note they are not for original power brake option cars.

Most of the booster kits for sale use a Blowtie unit that is pushrod operated instead of the bellcrank setup Ma Mopar used. Manual brake pushrods aren't really all that hard to find since most folks are converting to power brakes and have them laying around. Ask and ye shall receive. If that don't work soon enough for you, the last time I checked Mopar Performance had an adjustable one listed...

-
Back