Motor Mounts & Tranny question

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I've found a car I'm looking at purchasing and done some searching but can't find an answer to my questions. It is a 4 speed car that currently has a 340 (not numbers matching). Well I want to drop the 340 and swap in a slant. I'm probably the first person ever to take out a 340 for a slant, but I already have a 340 car and want a slant. My question is will the slant drop into the mounts already there, or what do I have to do to drop in the slant. Other question is, will the slant bolt up to the a833? Thanks.

To answer your question we need to know what year the car is, the 5th digit of the VIN, and whether the 340 was installed with conversion mounts or not. A pic will work wonders. The 833 will bolt to a slant with the correct bell housing. Hunt for an early ('64-'66) slant/4 speed bell or a '68-'75 3/4 speed unit that was drilled for both trannys. Or cheat outrageously and get one from Brewer's Performance.....

The car is a 75 duster. He says the motor is from a 69. I don't have any pictures of the mount but I will find out what he did as far as the swap is concerned.

If the 5th digit if the VIN is a C you have a slant K member (in theory) and all you will need is the '75 motor mounts. If the 5th digit is a G then you have a V8 car and you will need a slant spool mount K and the mounts. In any case the tranny mount is the same for both...

He said it's originally a 318 car. He is supposed to call me with the Vin. So if it is a V8 car I have to change the whole K member?

He said it's originally a 318 car. He is supposed to call me with the Vin. So if it is a V8 car I have to change the whole K member?

'Fraid so. On the bright side, it shouldn't be too hard to find one and it shouldn't cost much. People are always looking for V8 spool mount Ks to swap out their slants. If you're handy with a welder you could always cut off the V8 mounts and weld in a set for a slant. A bit extreme but doable. If you do swap Ks just make sure that the new one is from a '73 up A body or you will not be able to use your current steering setup...

-
Back