Mount caster/camber gauge

-

shep76

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot but has anyone used one of the caster/camber gauges with Cragar SS wheels? Before I pull the trigger and buy one I was wondering if the magentic adapter they come with fits in the center hole and sticks on the grease cap.... They don't tell you the diameter of the magnetic adapter so its a bit of guess work.

Usually you pull the grease cap off, then the magnet will stick to the flat machined surface of the front wheel hub.

Going to have to pull the center cap off your Cragars.

Ultimately 2 stock steel rims with matching tires will be your best bet for clearance to the hub.

Also if your Cragars have an offset to them, that will make it more difficult to set the Camber and the 20° to 20° degree swing needed to determine the Caster.

Offset rims will put more leverage on all the front alignment parts, throwing off what the actual stock recommended settings should be.

Beg, borrow, or steal a stock set of rims and tires. Do the alignment including the Toe In, then put the Cragars back on after all done.

Screenshot_20240314-113354_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Usually you pull the grease cap off, then the magnet will stick to the flat machined surface of the front wheel hub.

Going to have to pull the center cap off your Cragars.

Ultimately 2 stock steel rims with matching tires will be your best bet for clearance to the hub.

Also if your Cragars have an offset to them, that will make it more difficult to set the Camber and the 20° to 20° degree swing needed to determine the Caster.

Offset rims will put more leverage on all the front alignment parts, throwing off what the actual stock recommended settings should be.

Beg, borrow, or steal a stock set of rims and tires. Do the alignment including the Toe In, then put the Cragars back on after all done.

View attachment 1716221356

☆☆☆☆☆

what brand is that one?

Hmmm. I reall don't want to store extra wheels and tires.... Do you reccomend that gauge or were you just citing it as an example?

I know this is a long shot but has anyone used one of the caster/camber gauges with Cragar SS wheels? Before I pull the trigger and buy one I was wondering if the magentic adapter they come with fits in the center hole and sticks on the grease cap.... They don't tell you the diameter of the magnetic adapter so its a bit of guess work.

Another option is this style of gauge from SPC, it attaches to the rim itself. It takes a little practice to get it attached so your results are repeatable, but it's a great tool. I have one because I run aluminum hubs and wheels so a magnetic gauge is pretty much useless.
sps-91000_uq_xl.jpg

SPC Performance 91000 SPC Performance FasTrax Camber Caster Gauges | Summit Racing

SPC also makes a standard magnetic bubble gauge, and their stuff is made in the US.

SPC Performance 81139 SPC Performance Magnetic Adjustable Camber Gauges | Summit Racing

100% false.

Wheel offset doesn't change the procedure for how you set camber or caster at all. Not one bit. The procedure for setting caster and camber with a stock 15x7" +6 offset wheel is identical to setting caster/camber using an 18x9 +35 offset wheel.

This isn't that simple at all. Changing the offset changes the scrub radius, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Lowering the car, changing the camber, changing the caster, all effect the scrub radius as well. So just saying that higher offset wheels will change the scrub radius is misguided. One car may need completely different wheel offsets than another to have the same scrub, depending on how the car and alignment are set.

And unless you're running bias ply tires, ALL of the stock recommended setting are completely wrong and should be avoided at all costs.

View attachment 1716221356

☆☆☆☆☆

No need for a different set of wheels. Just buy the right tool in the first place.

I have a magnetic caster/camber gauge, and I use my spare tire/wheel and another spare from a junkyard (both with steel rims and same size tires) to set the alignment. After the alignment is set, put the mags back on and you are ready to roll.

Another option is this style of gauge from SPC, it attaches to the rim itself. It takes a little practice to get it attached so your results are repeatable, but it's a great tool. I have one because I run aluminum hubs and wheels so a magnetic gauge is pretty much useless.
View attachment 1716221382
SPC Performance 91000 SPC Performance FasTrax Camber Caster Gauges | Summit Racing

SPC also makes a standard magnetic bubble gauge, and their stuff is made in the US.

SPC Performance 81139 SPC Performance Magnetic Adjustable Camber Gauges | Summit Racing

100% false.

Wheel offset doesn't change the procedure for how you set camber or caster at all. Not one bit. The procedure for setting caster and camber with a stock 15x7" +6 offset wheel is identical to setting caster/camber using an 18x9 +35 offset wheel.

This isn't that simple at all. Changing the offset changes the scrub radius, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Lowering the car, changing the camber, changing the caster, all effect the scrub radius as well. So just saying that higher offset wheels will change the scrub radius is misguided. One car may need completely different wheel offsets than another to have the same scrub, depending on how the car and alignment are set.

And unless you're running bias ply tires, ALL of the stock recommended setting are completely wrong and should be avoided at all costs.

No need for a different set of wheels. Just buy the right tool in the first place.
This may be the best option. Its bigger than I wanted to store, but I really don't want to have to store two wheels and tires either. I found the diameter of the magnetic adapters, it is bigger than my wheel centers so it won't fit. Thank you!

I had the magnetic gauge and made this adapter so it will work with any sort of wheel, including my Cragar S/S wheels. Works great.

DSC04774.JPG

In case I can find an adapter, I measured the spindle to be 3/4" -16. Does that sound right?

-
Back