MSD Coil differences?

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
OK guys, I need to pick your brains on this one. I am getting ready to buy a new MSD coil to compliment my MSD setup but do not know which one to get. I have exhausted my search options with no luck. I have been looking at the Blaster 2, Blaster 3 and Blaster SS coils. Is there a difference in them other than improvements throughout the years and the coil post mounting on the Blaster 3 and SS coil? For the different post applications, would those require specific wire sets for those specific coils? The other two look like the canister style and the SS seems to be the solid state. Any suggestions? I am a picture guy so here are pics of the three in question. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Blaster 2.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 266
  • Blaster 3.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 218
  • msd-blaster-ss-coil.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 209
Blaster 2 is good for just about anything. The SS is not for all boxes and you could burn one up in a hurry. The SS has very low resistance and needs the right box to run it. Its not a good choice for a street machine or anything that does not turn a lot of rpm(less than 6500).

What box are you running? If its a 6al go with the blaster 2.

Blaster 2 is good for just about anything. The SS is not for all boxes and you could burn one up in a hurry. The SS has very low resistance and needs the right box to run it. Its not a good choice for a street machine or anything that does not turn a lot of rpm(less than 6500).

What box are you running? If its a 6al go with the blaster 2.

I am running a 6AL-2 with the Pro Billet Dizzy

Attachments

• 2011-12-28_10-55-53_802.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 178
the blaster 2 is a good choice for most aplications. if your going to subject it to much abuse you might want to go with the blaster 2 HVC potted in epoxy.

the blaster 2 is a good choice for most aplications. if your going to subject it to much abuse you might want to go with the blaster 2 HVC potted in epoxy.

OK thanks! No it does not plan to see the track at all, just a mildly built street car (cam, intake, headwork).

Go to the MSD site. They have a page which outlines each coil and intended use with their systems.

-
Back