My 340 la vs magnum 360

-

Bubu

Reaction score
Between a rock and a hard place... Dollar vs HP vs time.

I started taking apart my 340 la to begin the process to lower compression and begin the EFI conversion for a turbo set up. And my head started playing tricks. Should i just go with a magnum 360?

My current set up is n/a with a 0 decked block,30 over flat top pistons, 61cc heads with bigger valves, purple cam, etc... So a lot of work and money needed for future boost.

My goal is a 600+- street car. Is it cost and time effective to pick up a magnum and start with that rather than build the 340 for the numbers im after? Also should i go obd1 or obd2? Im running a 727 trans.

Thanks.

That puts it at what 10.1? Honestly I'd just change the cam... and run it with a water injection or if you have e85 in your area is run that.. could also just run a thicker head gasket.. cosmetic makes all sorts of different thickness gaskets..

That was my plan. Run a thicker gasket, cc the heads and run a different cam. But i want to go efi. Thats where it gets complicated and expensive for me. Im thinking that with a magnum i have somewhat of a head start in that area. Less facrication, less time = less money spent. I can also sell the 340 fast and for good money. It may sound like my mind is set, but honestly i have no idea which way to go.

Thanks for the input.

build a 318 first, dont know of ANY factory high compression 318's.....they ALL have 8:1 CR.....you already know (based on the same question on the TurboForums) that you are gonna POP your first forced induction engine...it would be smarter to blow up a block with indentical external deminsions to a 340/360 that costs nothing in relative terms, instead of a max effort 340/360 your first go round.

Blowthrough is cheaper and more effective out of the box....and you can still tune a carb with a screwdriver....build up to Fuel Injection....later.

my .02$

I've had about 5 turbo cars this being my first Mopar/v8.. if you don't know much about the tuning then take it to get tuned. Will save you some motors and money.. but if you know the ins and ours of your software have at it..

Ive had several turbo cars. All of them different than this set up. Never a v8. First time going from carb, n/a to boost & efi. All my others have been rotary engines and currently have a mits. 4g63 making some decent power.

Im approaching this as a newbie. One thing for sure, i want to build it right the first time.

-
Back