My parking garage hates my car

-
I must disagree. I never smell gas around any of my older cars, except when they had a noticeable leak, and that is parked in a home garage. A building garage is even more open, so unlikely there isn't a true leak.

I'd also first suspect the fill grommet, which cost ~$12 and takes ~2 hrs to change, if tank is almost empty and you take time to clean and paint rust. Wherever it is coming from, it should be visible.

It may be the filler grommet, it may be the sending unit gasket or a faulty rear hose or a rusted line or a leaking diaphragm on the fuel pump or a rusted metal line or cracked rubber line from the pump to the carb or it might be the accelerator pump or possibly a bad gasket ON the carb itself or it could be a faulty fuel filter...all of which would leave pretty OBVIOUS traces of fuel, easily located and repaired....

HOWEVER IF ALL OF THAT IS DRY, it is likely coming from your vent, NOT every car stinks and on a 40 year old car not every wiff of fuel vapor indicates a leak... ... some idiots even plug the vents because they have no idea what they are for or because they don't want their car to stink of gas in their attached garages!

Plugged up vents are easy to spot at the station pump......when removing the filler cap from a plugged tank it will either vent the compressed fuel vapor outward from the filler neck with a whoosh sound , or suck it in depending on how full the tank is and the ambient temp

If there are ZERO visible signs of fuel moisture along the entire fuel delivery route...then what you are smelling is likely coming from the tank VENT..ALSO if the tank vent is not properly positioned with an inverted u trap...fuel can sometimes leak from and incorrectly installed vent tube !

Sorry, but cars from well before the 20's and well into the 70's had "open fuel systems" and vented the fuel tanks into the atmosphere. Venting to the atmosphere was and still IS PERFECTLY NORMAL for those year vehicles!!

Take a look around at a few older cars fuel systems.....pay particular attention to the filler neck and the sending units, those are the most common places that vents are attached to the tanks.... discovery is a wonderful thing.

-
Back