Need 4 speed advice

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
Ok, im considering a 4 speed for my 64 Dart. It is orginally a pushbotton automatic car. What i need to know is what 4 speed should I be looking for, the early a-body or later a-body? Also is there a link for auto to manual swaps to help out with this swap? Any advice for such a swap? Thanks

Ok, looking at a shop manual for a 64 and 66, i can see the difference between a 64 4 speed and a 66. I guess i should be abit more clearer in my question. If i went with the clutch linkage for a 63-66 dart, pedals and the cross member for a 63-66 dart would everything hook up to a 66 and up 833 manual? My guess is yes. I figure going with the 66 and up 4 speed i wouldnt have to worry about finding a 63-65 propeller shaft to match up to the 63-65 4 speeds companion flange. Does this sound sane? Thanks for any help

Here's what you are going to need:
flywheel
clutch
bellhousing
A body transmission
64-66 pedals and clutch linkage
64-66 4 speed floor hump
Your automatic transmission crossmember and mount will work, and if you get a 64-65 4 speed you can use your driveshaft. 4 speeds and 904 autos are the same length. If you want to lose the ball and trunnion driveline, get a 66 up 4 speed and have a driveshaft made up with a 727 front yoke. The floor hump is needed to have room for the shift rods and shifter. Brewer's has a fiberglass repop or you can try to find an original. 67 up floor humps can be made to work but it's a toss up whether it would be easier to make one or modify what you get. The repops I've seen have been for a 76 A body although they are listed as 67-76. All you really have to do is swap trannys and pedals. Hope this helps.

Yes, I would definitely go with the later slip yoke on the tranny output. Not sure what the advatages/disadvantages are vce the flange, but there must be some reason they changed it.

Don't know what the big deal with floor humps is all about. It's just sheet metal or whatever your choice of material, can be fabbed with minimal skills and a correctly positioned hole in the floor. That's how I did it.

Thanks guys, i think ill keep my eye out for the pedals from a 63-66, clutch linkage from the same year car and a 66 and up a-body 4 speed. So the 63-66 darts cross members are the same as the 67 and ups?

There's a very complete pedal & linkage set on ebay right now, but the auction ends tomorrow afternoon.

http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ebaymotors/w...30214316823&ssPageName=ADME:B:DBS:MOTORS:1123

I think the crossmembers from 67 up are different but I'm pretty that the 64 & 65 used the same crossmember no matter what trans they had. I think the mount changed in 66 but I'm not yet sure of what the change was, maybe a change in the number of stude on the mount. I've got an old Mopar book that gives some part numbers but doesn't tell what the differences are. I'll try to check on the numbers tomorrow. The book doesn't have an index so I'll have to just thumb through it until I come across the chart.

I have done this recently with my own car! I personally used the 64 /6 4 speed ball and trunionwith NO problems[warmed over 340 .528 solid cam,4 speed,391 gear w/ suregrip] but i plan on going to my driveshaft shop and getting an adapter for the transand hooking up a 4x4 pickup style[rear]drive 2 piece driveshaft.I also plan on using the newer style ROUND POLY MOUNTand crossmember found on 73 and up darts,new yorker,and diplomats that also would allow for dual exhaust.64 and65 transmission crossmembersare squared on one end. Oh yea the ball and trunion were also available on the coronets with big blocks and hemi's. I personally think there was nothing wrong with the ball and trunion it was merely different so they went with the slip yoke style across the board. that is my 2 cents worth...I hope I helped. I wish I knew how to post pic's cause I sure would have to post ALOT OF THEM!!!

-
Back