Need a E-Brake

-

Duster Bud

Reaction score
Hi All,
I bought a 4speed car with a Ford disk rear.... all of the factory e-brake system was removed...even the handel inside (1972 Duster) I bought a used line lock for the front brakes...but worry that if the battery dies from what ever draw it takes from the battery...I am in trouble of rolling off down the hill.
So if anyone can give some advice or has the parts I would need to put the hand brake back in service.....please let me know. I would change the rear back to the 8 3/4 if it weren't for the price they are asking these days.
Again if someone has a rear in the 350 to 323 range drum to drum and lives anywhere near North Ga. 30512 Please contact me at [email protected] Thanks ! Bud :sad1:

You didnt say if it is a 9 inch or the 8.8 ford, the 8.8 isnt a big deal, the nine inch is a different story...the easy and cheap way would be to go back to rear drum brakes on the nine inch. I havent seen a parking brake assembly for a 9 inch narrowed axle with disc s ,maybe some one else on this site has.... I am sure they will join in .... good luck.... Ron

If it's a nine with factory calipers it should have the levers for the parking brake. Are you looking for the parking brake assembly for the car chassis? Or the components for the rear? I would suggest not using a electric line loc for parking. You can plumb in a manual line lock that would lock all four wheels. But it will take some plumbing work.

Thanks for the replys,
The levers are on the rear ( 1978 9" Ford Lincoln Ver-something) but no cables on the rear housing,calipers or any on the car in the back. I rebuilt the rear calipers BUT could not find the rubber hoses that go from the calipers to the steel brake line on the rear end housing.(any sourse?) There is no part of the hand brake left on the car...don't ask why...I didn't do it. The 4 wheel manual disks work well and the whole system is of other model cars. The car has the 74 model duster disk brake in the front with a master cylinder off a big mopar 4wheel disk car as well as the P-Valve.

How would a person lock all four wheels with one mechinal valve. I could see activating it with an ele door lock or something...and using a small ball **** valve or two ?

OK guys you all have been playing with your fine toys longer than I have and I just know someone has the A-Bodies answer. I have lots of questions and thank those who are willing to share their hard earned knowledge.

Thanks Guys, Bud

If you have a hand brake and the stock cables you should be able to fabricate a hook up to the 9" park brake set up. If you need the handle and cables I have one out of a 72 Demon. If you are interested email me.

[email protected]

They call it a micro lock. It's a valve body with a control that you either pull or flip to the side after pumping the brake pedal once or twice to build pressure. When the valve is set it holds the brake pressure like your holding the pedal. You can get a single axle micro lock easier than a double. Usually used in the larger trucks. We had them on our tow trucks for use during recoveries from off the road. Here's a single setup on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sand...6QQihZ015QQcategoryZ43974QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another way to go, that is really cheap, is to purchase a lock valve from Swagelock. They are about 30 bucks, you can splice them in either your front or rear brake line. Just step on the brake pedal and turn the valve. I believe it is rated at like 1000 psi of holding presurre, but can take double that amount. I use one on my Rockcrawler. works flawlessly.

No "R" it's MICO and there are not to be used for parking. I used them on rough terrian forklifts we had at one time to hold the forklift in place while you held the clutch with one foot and used the gas with the other so the hydraulics were faster.

Chuck

-
Back