Need help I'd my brakes please!

-

Ajp440

Reaction score
When I bought my duster it had the drums up front but had this disk setup in the trunk now the upper ball going is the small one and it does fit my bakes as well as the the balljoint for turning, but the lower balljoint is huge amending fit my lower control arm, if some one can tell me what they came of it would help. Thanks! Had to put a link to my album the bakes are the first five pictures.

http://m101.photobucket.com/albumvi...VNb6G05t/9Uc2bXPFl/8e6fdkgNnO96zjfVNhsJaM8hs=

look like 73 single piston up brakes , what year your car ?

My duster is a 70. They were thrown in the back of the car when I got it. This is the last thing keeping me from driving my car so all the help u can get I'd appreciate it

The upper went in and the side ones too it's just the lower balljoint that is too big for my lower control arm.

1. Upper Control Arms, from 1973-1976 A-Body Disc Brake Car. (single Piston Caliper only) The upper control arms are needed because the A-bodies were upgraded to the bigger B-body balljoints in 73, which means you need the later a-body arms to get the bigger balljoint. You can see the balljoint differences on the Steering Linkage Page

2. Spindles from 73-up A,B,E,F,J,M,R chassis disk brake car. Drum spindles don't work.
Note - the B,F,J,M,R spindle does have differences... Read A vs. B spindles for more info
3. Rotors and calipers - A-body rotors were 11" and were also used on many other cars. Some 77-79 B and 79-81 R bodies used an 11.75" rotor. Both rotors fit all spindles above. You do however need to use the caliper bracket that matches the rotor diameter. There are pin-type calipers and sliding calipers. The correct one must be used with the corresponding bracket. Most likely you'll find all your parts together on one car. The less-desirable pin-type calipers were used on the E-bodies, while most other cars had the slider style calipers.
4. Divider block and prop valve from a donor disc brake car.
5. New Front Brake Hoses (Rubber)
6. New Brake Pads & Bearings (you must know what make, model and year of the donor car)
7. New Master Cylinder, Disc & drum, use 73-76 A-Body, with or w/o power brakes
8. 4.5" bolt pattern front wheels.
9. New Upper Control Arm Bushings recommended
10. 73-76 Lower Ball Joints are necessary. The stock lower control arms can be retained.
11. From the donor car, remove the (2) lines that are attached to the master cylinder, and use them on
your car. it just easier to use these lines than to bend up your existing ones to work.

Is there a part number on the brakes that will tell me what they came off? The top balljoint fits into my upper control arm. The only one that isn't working Is the lower ball joint it's too fat to fit in the hole of the lower control arm. If I can identify what the came off I'll have a good starting point to what I need exactly I've read through all the links but I'm still having trouble figuring it out

Are the UCA the ones that were on your car and did your car have SBP Drums up front? Or have you swapped out the UCA?

I havnt swapped them but it did have small bolt drums , they were bolted on all janky though.

Does the top fit or does it slip in and you can bolt it? They should take a BBJ something isnt right. Im guessing the top fits but it isnt right diameter.

Ok I just got done looking at it. The top fits bit is very loose, so I think I need to swap them out for the bigger baljoint control arms like your saying and the bottoms do go in my bca, I'm guessing that the drums and disks use the same ball joint on the lower part?

you will need new ball joints on the lower order then for a 73+ disc car.. You will need BBJ UCA and BBJ's for them again order them for a 73+ disc car. Matter of fact all your parts will be for a 73+ Disc car. UCA can be had used look around on the forums here and else where.

So New bbj on top and bottom for a 73+ disk brake car and the uca with the bbj hole I think I'm getting it now!! I think I'm gonna swap the calipers to so they don't interfere with my sway bar. Thanks for all the help man

calipers go to the rear of the car...yep need 73 and up upper control arms and disc brake proportioning valve and your good to go...well good to stop also.....Wagg's

Are the only thing differnt about the upper control arms are the bigger ball joint? U think they could work with bigger ball joints installed in the stock arms?

Ok just picked up a set of upper control arms of a 74 dart with the disks so I got that covered.

-
Back