Need help identifying early A-body auto trans

-

MarcD

Reaction score
the accompanying pics are of an automatic trans currently installed in a 1966 Dodge Dart GT with a later slant six engine (five freeze plugs, 280xxxx casting number, tapered rib behind the water pump housing, spark plug tube head).

It's difficult to get a clear shot of the driver's side pan rail on the trans, (and I apologize for the upside down pics!!) but it looks like the following numbers are clearly present, with no sign of alteration or other damage:

2538386Y 234668-

That's it; no "PK", nothing else I could discern. There is no "bump out" on the oil pan, there are 14 bolts on the oil pan and the overall length is about 31" from bell housing/engine plane to the end of the tail shaft housing.

It is a floor mounted shift in what looks like the original console inside the car.

I'm hoping it's the original trans with the smaller torque converter hub (installed with a spacer in the later large hub crank?)

I'll have to buy the car to find out!

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• photo 67.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 186
  • photo 68.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 168
  • photo 69.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 175
Not all have the PK in front of the #. Not sure why but that's the way it is. 2538386 doesn't show up in my list but all the torqueflite's made in 66 start out with the 253 designation. I have never seen a 727 behind a /6 in an a-body so I believe it must be a 904 and I'd bet it's a 66 model by the #

Thanks so much for the help; there's just no substitute for experience and this forum shares it in abundance!

I pulled the trigger and bought the car; it's a '66 Dart GT with a '74 built motor (.30 over, shaved head, port work, Comp cam (not sure which grind) Super Six manifold with Weber carb and Dutra duals front manifold, the aforementioned 904, power steering (please don't laugh; living in San Francisco and parallel parking with 5 1/2 turns lock-to-lock manual steering is no picnic with 215 tires and 2 degrees castor!), large bolt pattern all around with single piston disc brakes in front and, best of all, an A-body 8 1/4 Sure-grip with 3.21 gears.

The interior is sort of rough with some kind of generic aftermarket bucket seats, but the headliner is clean and the cool console is in pretty good shape. No major body crunches or rot; have to hit it with clay bar and see what the paint looks like under the oxidation.

Game plan is to swap the engine, axle and power steering into my '63 Dart GT with the tired stock 225, 7 1/4 2.76 axle, manual steering and close-ratio A833...should be fun!

Hopefully the 904 will prove to be what we think it is and the '63 225 will bolt up with the appropriate flex plate.

Thanks again for the knowledge and willingness to share it

-
Back