need help iding 6

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I need help iding these 2 straight sixes that once both owned by Tommy Schonsberg. I seem to be picking up a few of Tommy's cast-offs as he had also at one time planned to race the 68 Cuda ragtop that I now own. He rebuilt the black block and never used it as he decided to go a different route. I'm not sure about the history of the blue block. The black block is numbered 4343-730 and dated 19-1-87. The other side of the block shows 220. The blue block has 10015 and 2463430-15 on one side and 652 on the other. I couldn't find a date.

Attachments

• Black 6.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Black 6-2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 170
  • Black 6-3.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Black 6-4.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Blue 6.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 158
Well, By my best guess, the first one came out of a car '67-'72 judging by the motor mounts, but it has the late-model Head, without the spark plug tubes, It was a power steering car, and if the distributor has two wires coming out of it, it's probably from a car with electronic fuel injection.

The second one is a really early block, pre '66 Judging by motor mounts and the single freeze plug. It's also got the early-style ribbed valve cover.

They both look like tall-deck slants, so the early one is definitely a 225, and the later model could be either a 225 or a 198. I don't know the numbers offhand. but there's plenty of guides available online for the casting numbers.

BTW, what blue block? I only see two engines pictured there, one's black, the other's red.

If those two engines are anything like the one in my former drag queen, a 67 Dart, they are assembled from various mix & match parts. You will find head casting numbers under the valve cover, and possibly stamped internal details located on top of block below #1 plug. But, where these are most likely built engines, those stampings most likely has been machined off.

Check here for casting decoding:
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

-
Back