Need help IDing 727's

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
The transmission in my car is toast, needs a rebuild. I decided to get somebody to do that during the winter.

I found a used 727 that a friend said was for a small small bock. My mechanic friend was in the process of installing it, but had issues. He thinks it's for a slant 6.

I have another 727 in the garage, but no idea what year it is either. It does have a rear (tailshaft) opening for a speedo gear.

I tried googling it but wasted my time. Can anybody help? I just wanna get the car mobile (cheaply) for the rest of the summer/fall if I can.

Woody if it was for a slant 6 you'd know it real easy cause they had the starter up high on the drivers side so the bellhousing looks nothing at all like a small block trans. What you have is more likely a big block trans. You can tell a small block trans from a big block trans by where the converter access plate bolts on. The big block plate has 4 small 1/4" bolts right at the bottom where-as the small block trans. has 3 small 1/4" bolts along with 2 large bolts at the bottom where the trans. to engine brackets bolt on.

Here is a link to a page that you can look up the numbers on your transmissions and see what they came from

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf

BTW: What was the problem he had making it fit?

Well, all slant 6 transmission are 904..

A way to ID a small block 727 and a big block 727 is just look the bell housing. Big difference.. or like Fishy said.

Also, to tell a 904 and 727 diff is look at the pan, 727 is much bigger, has a bulge on the front right. Also a rib on the casing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot guys!

It is definitely a 727, my problem is I took the guys word at face value that it is small block. I guess I should have checked it over better.

@ Fishy, I'll know better in the morning what the real issue is. He had some problem installing it. It could be a slant six 727 like Kimmer said. That was my friend's thought. I'm just guessing at this point. Is their any difference in the splines for the torque converters in earlier 727's?

I'll use the PDF to ID it, thanks.

Okay issue solved! It IS a 727 for a big block. The pdf verified it along with a closer inspection. The best part is the guy that gave it to me is looking for a big block transmission!

It's also Murphy's law that the other 727 transmission I have is also for a big block.

Thanks for your help guys!

Glad you got it figured out Woody. And if you do run onto another there is a difference in the spline counts on early ones as well as lockup models that you need to avoid. 62-66 are 19 spline and 67 and up are 24 spline. That's the spline count for non-lockup models. You can tell a non-lockup trans. from a lockup trans. real easy by looking at the input shaft. If the splines go all the way to the end it's a non-lockup model. If the end of the input shaft is milled down smooth the last 3/8~1/2" it's a lockup trans.

Thanks Fishy! I thought there were some differences on the early 727's. Oh, looks like I have a good one. Found a 727 small bock trans from a 76 Dodge van. Numbers match the van year according to the chart you posted. I might still get back on the road this year.

Thanks Fishy! I thought there were some differences on the early 727's. Oh, looks like I have a good one. Found a 727 small bock trans from a 76 Dodge van. Numbers match the van year according to the chart you posted. I might still get back on the road this year.

Your welcome woody and glad you found one to get you running.

-
Back