Need help with size, thinking 18's on a 68 dart

-

67hallett

Reaction score
I have been reading on this site for some time and could now use some help. Four the past four years I have been getting my wife's 68 dart 270 back to road worthy. I'm trying to get it back to her for christmas for a suprise. It has factory V-8 k frame, 76 dart front suspension and brakes, factory 8.75 rear with BBP axles and drum brakes, leaf springs are in the stock location. Trying to get some 18 inch wheels and tries, but not sure of what back spacing to get and would like to run same size tire front and rear. Any help would be great. I'm ready to buy wheels and tires right know. She likes grey and black 5 spoke design. Anybody with pictures would help also. I have put a ton of time into this car and want it to look as good as she thinks it can in her dreams. She has not driven this car for almost ten years.

well an 8" with 5x4.5BS and a spacer should be perfect. on the front though your going to want closer to a 5.5"BS

I'd run these...

SUM-142-8865GM20_ml.jpg

Summit Leged S's. I run the 17" version on my Challenger. The nice thing about them is the hub bore is large enough that they fit the stock rotors without any issues, unlike most Ford rims.

18x18.5 with a 5.5" backspace for the front

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-142-8865gm20/overview/

18x8.5 with a 4.5" backspace for the back

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-142-8865gm6/overview/

The problem with stock spring location A bodies is that you can't run the same backspace front and rear. If you wanted to rotate wheels, you'd have to buy 4 of the 18x8.5 with a 5.5" backspace and use a 1" spacer/adaptor out back. I've run those type of spacers before (they bolt to the lug studs and then have their own set of studs) without any problems, so you could do it either way.

As far as the same size tire all around, 245/40/18 would be the safe bet. But a 255/40/18 should fit as well, although on some cars you might need to trim or roll the rear quarter lip a little bit.

Whoops, double post.

Here's a picture of my Challenger with the 17" Legends on it. The 18" version has a slightly different spoke style, but they're fairly close...

IMG_3018.jpg

I have 15x8's with 5" BS on the back of mine and run a 1/4" spacer. This is with offset hangers. 10.40 section width tires, 26" tall. This combo is the absolute max width wise you'll get under there. Depending on the tire pressure and cornering speed or weight in the vehicle they will scrub the inboard side of the fenderwell and or leafs. There isn't much room to the outside lip either. Maybe 3/4".

Attachments

• gas tanksmall.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 201
-
Back