Need input on quarter skins please

-

lead69

hopeless car junkie
Reaction score
Im needing new quater skins for my 71 duster and from what research Ive done there is only one type currently on the market.It seems everything currently available is stamped off the same dies in Taiwan and Im just wondering who has used these panels and how they fit.Im concearned about them being way off on body lines ect.,if anyone has any experience with them I would really appreciate it,thanks.

For the most part you're locked into having to deal with 3rd world parts. I bought 2 qtrs for my Dart and they were in my opinion, marginal. The problem being is that instead of being nice and flat the metal was somewhat wavy. I was fortunate enough not to need the whole panel but just the very bottom lip so I cut the rest away. I know of other guys that have had to do a fair amount of metal finishing to get things right before laying on some paint. Unfortunately there aren't many options.

Just had both quarters replaced on my '70 340 swinger with Goodmark from YearOne. Left quarter was two inches to long. Right quarter lines were turned up at the door. Both needed a fair amount of work and are much thinner than original. If you use these you will need a real good body man to make them right. In the future i will look for decent used ones to work

I replaced one on my '70. Here are my impressions:

1) Body lines aren't as crisp but can be fixed when finishing.
2) Worst line is the lower that comes off the door and trails off in front of the rear wheel.
3) Cut the old quarter on the outside of the door jamb rather than remove the spot welds inside the jamb. The factory corner is much sharper and cleaner.
4) There's a lead seam at the rocker near the lower rear corner of the door. Leave extra material there if you cut the old quarter off - you'll need it.
5) The indentation for the bumper is completely wrong in the new quarter. You'll need to leave that area intact from the old, or transfer it to the new.
6) The metal is thinner. Plan on some warpage after welding - even if you're a good welder.

I've got pictures.

Thanks for the input-its exactly what I was afraid if,shell out $500.00 for quarters that arent up to snuff to shell out more in fixing them and still have inferior sheet metal.It will be nice if goodmark would step up on these and alot of other stuff for chrysler but in the mean time Im looking for a set of good used quarters,thanks guys.

If you think the repo quarter skins are brutal you haven't seen the repo (outer) rocker panels. They are just as bad except they don't need as much body work as the quarters. The rockers were about an inch too big which meant they had to hack them in half lengthwise and cut out the extra inch.

rear new rocker.jpg

The quarters are all made in Taiwan so you're dealing with a suspect panel regardless who it's bought from. It took a lot of work to get them straight.

sheet metal 4.jpg

driver side new quarter tack welded.jpg

driver side new rear quarter tack welded 2.jpg

driver side rear quarter panel weld.jpg

norm at work.jpg

wow thats alot of filler, reminds me of my dads challenger pannels, he bought 2 of em, ended up only using 1. he bought one of the oem ones(whole quarter) for $650 :| fit much better but dam thats alot of money for one

I was wondering about them, they are only $169.00 ea there. I also found a company called Shermanparts.com, they are ruffly the same price. I guess they are overseas companys too, don't know. I am leaning toward the autobody specialtys myself, especially since someone had good luck. I only need the bottom behind the wheel and around the wheel well's.

I actually called goodmark and quizzed them as to where the a body quarters are made.They confirmed that all the currently available quarters are stamped in Taiwan from the same dies.Its doesnt seem to matter the price or vendor,they are all the same quality,I have heard the lower quater pieces are a little better,thats what Ive decided to go with.

lead69 said:
Im needing new quater skins for my 71 duster and from what research Ive done there is only one type currently on the market.It seems everything currently available is stamped off the same dies in Taiwan and Im just wondering who has used these panels and how they fit.Im concearned about them being way off on body lines ect.,if anyone has any experience with them I would really appreciate it,thanks.
Hey lead69, I've installed quite a few of those aftermarket skins on Mopars, Chevy's and Fords and believe me, use only what you need from them. They are a lot of work to get straight if you use the whole skin. Mike

-
Back