need tires for my steelies on a 72 Duster

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK guys, it's almost tire buying time. I know this tire game has been kicked all over the place but I gotta use a "life line". I like my cars to handle pretty good on the open road. BBP with 4 wheel disc, front and rear sway bars, and for now I'm keeping the steel wheels that came with the donor car (88 5th Ave) plus I like the stealth look (if I could find some dog dishes for $100 or less I'd be set!). I've done the spring relocation deal already (thanks Joe) but not the mini tub, that's gonna have to wait as I need to get this car moving. This car will never see any racetrack of any type and I lowered it in the back by flipping the front spring mount and marked the spot for drilling the hole higher in the relo box and cranked down the torsion bars up front just a little (I like the low look). I was told that flipping the spring mount was good for 2 inches. I'd like to stick to 50 series tires and with the exception of a few sizes I have to special order them so once I buy them I own them!:glasses9:
Do y'all think a 265 will fit in the rear or is that too wide? 225 on the nose would probably interfere with something (wheelwell, sway bar...) and 215's aren't made anymore so I guess the next size down is a 205... Whaddaya think?

for good handling tire size (width) is going to have to be determined more by rim width than clearance

the wheels are 15 X 7, I'm just trying to max usage out of the space (wheel wells) and rims I already have. Road car, no "track time" but I still wanna keep the low stance.

You won't get a 50 on the front with a 15" wheel.

These are your options.

215-65-15 (26")
205-65-15 (25.49")

215-60-15 (25.16")
225-60-15 (25.63")

The only rear that won't be shorter than a stock tire in a 50 is…..

At least a 275-50-15 (25.83")

A BFG g-Force 215/50-15 fits on a 7" rim and has an OD of 23.5". Section width if 8.9" on a 7" rim. The 225/50-15 also fits on a 7" rim, has an OD of 23.9", and section width of 9.2" on a 7" rim. (data from BFG web site).

By comparison a Radial T/A P235/60-15 on a 7" rim has an OD of 26.1 inches, and a section width of 9.5" on a 7" rim. This was the maximum size tire the Stockton Wheel told me would fit under the Demon. It fits and does not rub with the front set to stock ride height. The car has the BBP/disk brake swap which moves the front wheel towards the outer edge of the fender. If you've done a BBP/disk brake swap and have lowered the front, there might be some front fender interference on turns with any mentioned tire.

I run 275/r/60/15.with super stock springs with a 1in spacer between the wheel and brake drum, but the s/s spring pick the car up some, if you have a relocation kit in side to side should be good but if your lowering it, it may rub the wheel wells with out a mini tub, my car is not mini tubed. I pm'ed you about the hub capes.

Attachments

• 100_2265.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_2266.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 124
If you've done a BBP/disk brake swap and have lowered the front, there might be some front fender interference on turns with any mentioned tire.
yep, I've done the swap. I ordered some Falken 225's for the steer and 265's for the rear from discounttiredirect.com last night. I'm in the game now so i guess I'll see what happens when they get here. I'm thinking the rear is gonna be close but ok but the front might rub. If the front does rub then I guess I'll take the tires off and add them to the collection of stuff I got in the shed and order some 205's.... (I hope they fit :angry3:)

-
Back