new glass options

new glass , clear or green or smoke ?

• Total voters
-

72dustervs

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thinking of buying new glass for my 72 under restoration since all glass is out, the old shows age, unsure how good the side glass will clean , some faint scratches ,,but have already bought new windshield tinted at top,,my question would you go with the original clear or a green tint or a grey smoke , looking for opinion's , sort like the smoke for privacy , the green is very light but nice as well , I have used it before

1711408383131.png

1711408459771.png

If it is other than factory you might have issues in some some areas of the country.

Clear will be easier to find in the future.

I have factory tinted glass in my 67 dart #2

The he left rear quarter was broken out when I got the car.

Good luck finding a 67 dart CONVERTIBLE left rear quarter glass with factory tint!

Non convert not as bad.

where would you get the smoked glass from, I've never seen it advertised anywhere

Not trying to highjack at all but here is my thread on this similar subject....

Smoked glass Question Thread

So I did get a response back from ECS that their smoked glass is 30% tint but never answered if the glass was safety or not... I sure wanted to hear them say it and not just be implied.

Curious where you are finding the smoked glass in your pic? I am not as tech savvy as Elmer-FN-Fudd is apparently

After doing some research I did learn the percentage is how much light is let through the tint

just went to your thread and that is probably why auto city classic is so cheap, it's probably not safety glass or laminated for the front windsheild. Though their website does state that it is DOT certified and the front windsheild is laminated

just went to your thread and that is probably why auto city classic is so cheap, it's probably not safety glass or laminated for the front windsheild. Though their website does state that it is DOT certified and the front windsheild is laminated
They have a website and it states in the FAQ
Is the glass you offer approved by the DOT?
Our glass is completely in accordance with the DOT (department of transportation) and certified. They are DOT approved and legal in all states.

Front windshield is suppose to be laminated and I would think they would be open for lawsuits if they are proved that there glass does not meet state standards as there website states , I have the glass and it appears very nice on the doors an rear glass, I haven't installed windshield or back glass yet but on inspection it looks very good , so I will take the chance there on the up an up , but that choice would be up to anyone that purchases there glass as I am by no means guaranteeing anything as I am just mechanic ,
They do give a year warranty if the front windshield starts to delaminate , there prices are good an seemed fair to me , as I had a windshield installed and purchased from local professional glass company in my 79 f100 for $225 about 2 years ago .

Thats what I read too. the expensive stuff is the date coded glass.
I think you convinced me to get the gray tinted glass, since I'm not doing a full blown restoration and I'm adding A/C to the car, the grey I believe would work best for me.
I am curious as to how long it took to get it once ordered.

Thats what I read too. the expensive stuff is the date coded glass.
I think you convinced me to get the gray tinted glass, since I'm not doing a full blown restoration and I'm adding A/C to the car, the grey I believe would work best for me.
I am curious as to how long it took to get it once ordered.
They shipped quickly , around a week if I remember, , I am trying to restore the A/C in mine as well and nothing is original on my project so why worry about date coded glass

Last edited:
-
Back