New guy checking in...

-

bohica2xo

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Nice forums you have.

I recently acquired a 1965 Barracuda. Once the proper repairs are made, it will be the wife's toy...

Stand by for plenty of questions in threads I find that cover my issues with this little car.

A bit of background on myself & the car:

I have been twisting a wrench for a long time. Many brands, but the last Mopar I owned was a 1973 Power Wagon I bought new.

I am machinist by trade, and am not afraid to make what I can't find.

Three years ago my wife fell in love with an FIA correct 1965 Barracuda that was pounding around the track at the Goodwood Revival. Every time she sees a tired old Barracuda she points it out to me...

I found this car locally, and it was in decent shape. Still has the original headliner, seats, etc - all without rips or tears. Most of the OE parts are still there, and the factory A/C is still in the dash along with the original "AC" marked radiator...

It began life as a V8 automatic car, but not a formula S. Somewhere along the way the engine has been changed. I checked the front of the block, but there is nothing stamped there. I have not figured out how to look at the casting number (is this even possible with the OE manifold in place?) but it has a 4 barrel manifold & vac secondary holley.

It barely ran on the way home. I am not fond of holleys, mostly because they sell them to people that can't seem to tune them. When I pulled the float plug on the primary, fuel poured out - car was nose up in the driveway. Power valve is of course blown. Brakes are junk, makes a sharp left when braking. Previous owner "just bought tires" - yep 4 broken studs on the driver's side...

So I will be off asking disk brake questions next.

Thanks for a great forum.

B.

70DartMike:

Back in '73-75 I was more interested in taking pictures of where the truck would take me. Never really took any pics of the truck on purpose, but I will look for an old shot that included it.

TXDart:

I need to take some pics of stuff for the "hall of shame". The car was a decent piece, but everything connected with "performance improvements" is a hack job.

The alternator is mounted @ 10 degrees or so off axis from the crank - and is the wrong one.
The unknown engine sports a 3310-6 Holley that is so rich it will idle on a cold start with no choke.
The OEM shifter was in a box in the trunk - the B&M unit that replaced it is so badly set up that "P" "N" & "D" all happen before the ratchet hits neutral in the shifter...

So where should I put the pics?

Hopefully I can get to most of it this weekend. The carb is on the bench in the garage right now. Brakes are next - hopefully it is just a frozen wheel cylinder or something like that. Stop > Go > Looks

B.

I was just chasing the lack of a neutral safety (yes it starts in gear!), and I found this poorly crimped 12 gauge wire on the start relay:

DSCN4749.JPG

Huh. Wonder where that goes? Well, after 10 minutes with a razor blade removing more of the garish red loom cover... It is connected to the ground terminal on the alternator!

In the process of chasing that one, it also became apparent that the electric choke coil on the Holley is connected to the coil, and is powered through the ballast resistor.

Now I have to find the other memory card, and post the rest of the hall o' shame pics.

B.

-
Back