new guy here from SoCal, and need advice

-

hotrod413

big block
Reaction score
Hello. I have several Dodge's, that include a 63 d100 413/727 (project) a 1971 d100 show truck, and a 1972 dodge motorhome. What I am having problems with is a duster that is for sale near me/to me. The guy says its a 71(IIRC) factory 340. Its rough, no motor, who knows about tranny(it is an auto), no rear axle, and no spindles on the front. The floor pans are MINT, and there is absolutely NO cancer anywhere on the car. The interior is decent except the dash pad is cracked to heck.

First off, how do I tell if it is a factory 340? I dont have the vin handy, as I am about 60 miles from there right now, but I can get it this weekend.

Second, if it is a factory 340, whats the ballpark figure to replace the parts listed as missing. I will have a budget of around 2000 to get this car going, IF I buy it.

Third, what would be a ballpark figure to offer the guy. I know what he is asking, which is really cheap, but what can one expect to spend on one in this condition?

I have always wanted a duster since before I could remember. My mom had a 71 coronet that I loved, and my first car was a 1959 coronet. Im no stranger to hard work, but I don't need another money pit. The 63 has already taken that role :-D

These are my dodges. They are old pics, as the 71/72 is painted 2009 Chrysler Inferno Red, and the 63 is primered. In the background, you can see my 1990 corvette, 70,000 original miles. She hasnt been driven since I got our 1973 lincoln MKIV painted, and freshened up the engine :-D

63and71.jpeg

Welcome to FABO! Check the vin and fender tag. The 5th digit in the vin should be an "H" allso the K frame should have a washer welded to it on the front. Allso check the data plate on the inside of the driver door. With out seeing the car, (mabby you could get some pics and post them up) it is hard to say. With all that is missing though I would not go paying a lot for it as them parts can set you back mabby around 2 G's or more.

Depending on how rough, could be worth mabby 2-4 G's. Look for rust and don't just take the guys word that it has none. Pull up the carpit look in the trunk and get under the car and look at the floors.

Pics pics we need pics!!!

Good luck to you.
Russell

First off, Welcome. and secondly, NICE tucks. Do what he said exactly. But if you can get some good detailed pictures on here that will help out a bunch. How much is he asking?? With all of the GOOD parts already missing, I hope it is cheap.

thanks for the warm welcome :-D

The guy is asking $500 for it. Im expecting to get ~$2500 around the first. I still have to check it out (the vin, and of course pics) but for now, im spending the week before my birthday with my girlfriend. I will be able to get pics saturday, or monday, as sunday is my B-Day

my concern is how to tow it. If it has no wheels, how will it roll disgust Where would I even begin to search for partsdisgust

I promised I wouldn't get anymore cars, but I have a deep down, built in, urge, nay, NEED to save any and ALL mopars I can afford. Plus Ive always wanted a duster.

Its either this, or a 1975 dart swinger, 225/auto for 100 bux by my dads house in reno...................

Welcome!

If its got no spindles or rear axle you've got bigger problems than no wheels! It won't roll on its own, you'll need to fabricate a dolly for it of some kind. I've seen folks put them on casters before, if you get some square tubing and some 6" casters you can usually bolt the casters into the tubing, and the tubing to the frame (make sure to use 2 bolts or weld on a plate to the tubing perpendicular to the frame so they don't rotate on the frame!). You'll still need a full trailer to get the entire body off the ground, the casters will only help you get it onto the trailer, and it'll still be interesting. If you have access to a rear end you could bolt in you'd be in way better shape, then you can just lift the front until its on the trailer. Cars with no suspension are not easy to move!

it is an H code car, but its a 1973 dart sport, and not a duster. There are lots of old raceway stickers under the hood, hood scoop, and its tubbed.....The interior is plaid, has buckets, floor pans are solid, but behind the drivers seat it is pushed up a little bit, probably from a jack..........trunk pan is solid ish....it looks like it has heavy rust, but no cancer....pics are coming soon, I PROMISE

He would give me a 7 1/4 rear to bolt in, so all I have to do is lift the front...........It DID have front disc brakes which was surprising, so I can probably go to Pick a part and get front spindles and brakes off of any car 73 and newer, right????? Im planning this one right this time...I hope

all for 500 bux.....it may be my next project..............:-D

-
Back