New member, brake master cylinder question

-

yarcraft91

Reaction score
Hi, all:

I'm new to the forum. I have a '67 Barracuda with standard manual drum brakes and I need to replace the master cylinder.

The factory service manual says to disconnect the push rod from the brake pedal. Uh, OK...I'd like to avoid that- not sure my hands will fit in that space. I have seen some posts indicating there is a way to pop the pushrod out of the master cylinder by shimming the cylinder 3/8" off the firewall and pulling up on the brake pedal, which would make the job easier. Any input before I go try this?

Never mind. I decided to do the job by the book. Unbolting the pushrod was probably the worst part of the job- I just don't bend so well anymore in the necessary places. :? I suppose the job would have been easier without a clutch pedal in the way.

Nothing dramatic about the job, everything that had to come loose did so with no hassle. So nice when there's no rust to complicate the job. A momentary scare when the rear brake line fitting didn't want to thread into the M/C, but patience paid off. Now I have a firm brake pedal again! New master cylinder, new tires, new hoses in the past week- my '67 Barracuda is back on the road.

-
Back