New stereo installed

-

blackhand

Reaction score
Forgive the low-res cellphone pics!

Finished installing my xmas gift to myself. I chose to mount the stereo under the dash because I eventually want to got a stock stereo and mount just the face for looks in the dash. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one that's in good shape.

The custom kick panel enclosures that I made from fiberglass hold 5 1/4" pioneer premier 2-way speakers. I went with the same speakers set in the rear deck in 6x9" size. The iPod/iPhone plugs right into the storage container in the center console.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the way this turned out. The sound is much better than I expected it to be in this car.

Attachments

• CIMG0135.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 273
  • CIMG0136.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 274
  • CIMG0137.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 268
  • CIMG0139.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 273
That looks awesome. I wanted to do something similar to that in my convertible but never got around to it.

Very nice!!

Very cool setup! If it's not too much trouble, could you post info on your MP3 player hookup? I was thinking about doing something similar to mine, minus the stereo, just running the MP3 through an amp.

I also wanted to just hook up an mp3 player but I couldn't find a suitable solution. I don't keep CD's around and I don't even have an RF antenna so the only thing I needed was iPod/iPhone compatibility.

I considered powering the four speakers with a 4-channel amp and using a mini-stereo jack to RCA converter to get the signal to the amp, but the equalizer on the iPod is pretty basic and I wouldn't have a way of adjusting my sound. In the end I thought the best option was to install a stereo that's made for the iPod and has a powerful sound processor.

I used the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794 which is designed for easy iPod connectivity, puts out 22 watts RMS, and has plenty of sound-shaping options. It allows me to compensate for the size of the car's interior, location of speakers, and size of speakers. Also has a 5 band EQ with "highway sound" which boosts the frequencies that compete with road noise so you can hear more detail over the loud engine.

Actually, I'm interested in the jack/socket inside your console. That's exactly where I was thinking of hooking mine up, but I don't know where to look, or what I'd be looking for really. That way it's out of sight, like yours. I'm a noob when it comes to audio stuff, but I might consider installing a head unit after seeing yours. I do have an old vinyl covered enclosure that I could mount under the dash.:-k Thanks for the info.

Actually, I'm interested in the jack/socket inside your console. That's exactly where I was thinking of hooking mine up, but I don't know where to look, or what I'd be looking for really. That way it's out of sight, like yours. I'm a noob when it comes to audio stuff, but I might consider installing a head unit after seeing yours. I do have an old vinyl covered enclosure that I could mount under the dash.:-k Thanks for the info.

The port that I wired into the center console is hard-wired to the head unit from the factory. It's built to be installed that way and comes with a nice bezel that makes for a nice fit and finish

-
Back