no more header leaks

-

jivemother33

Reaction score
i was havin a hard time with my headman headers leaking ...so i tried some of those Percy's dead soft alum. gaskets ....kick *** no more leaks supper thick worked great they are 35 bucks at summit or ur local auto zone can order them also for around 30$ part # for small blocks php-66037 at summit and at autozone -66037 if u are having problems give them a shot :wav:

Sweet! I was just looking at them in my Summit book. I will buy them now, Thanks!! Keith.

I have been having great success with using two Fel-Pro header gaskets per side. Close to 15k miles now with no leaks.

You might think I'm crazy but I've always used stock manifold gaskets with my headers and have never had any leaks. A oldtimer auto mechanic told me this trick so I tried it and it works great.

mullinax95 said:
You might think I'm crazy but I've always used stock manifold gaskets with my headers and have never had any leaks. A oldtimer auto mechanic told me this trick so I tried it and it works great.

Mullinax, you're not crazy. I use stock gaskets as well and have never had a leak. I just open 'em up to the port size and they're only about $10-$11 dollars at NAPA. I know they have the air injection ports, but you can't see it once they're installed. You can cut a slot in the bottom of the stud holes with a pair of dikes and just slide them in with the headers just pulled back too. Avoids the whole anti-freeze mess. Here's a pic with the part #:

Ex gskts.jpg

Not to burst your bubble, but I have used the Percy's also, they don't last forever, the dead-soft aluminum will slowly erode and blow out, mine took about 5 months, they worked fine until then. I tried copper gaskets later, they worked until I sold it (about 7 months). I was running a supercharger so it may have been because of possibly higher temps, just an FYI for you.

well i have tried paper type copper ones with always having some leaks the percys have worked great for me . every motor is differant (and headers)

I tried 2 different sets of the copper ones and neither would seal. They didn't exactly match the ports and there wasn't anything you could do about it.

fishy68 said:
I tried 2 different sets of the copper ones and neither would seal. They didn't exactly match the ports and there wasn't anything you could do about it.

Try the cometic exhaust gaskets - I don't think you will be disappointer.

mullinax95 said:

Stock manifold gaskets do not separate the center ports. When I installed the headers for the first time the gaskets that came with the headers had been folded and were damaged so I used the stock manifold gaskets that came with the Fel-Pro gasket set. Because they didn't have the center web the leaked like a sieve.

Most all headers eaders have a raised bead around each port and with out that center web in a stock manifold gasket you have an open path for a leak. They may work on headers without the raised bead but can't seem them working well on headers with them.

dgc333 said:
Stock manifold gaskets do not separate the center ports. When I installed the headers for the first time the gaskets that came with the headers had been folded and were damaged so I used the stock manifold gaskets that came with the Fel-Pro gasket set. Because they didn't have the center web the leaked like a sieve.

Most all headers eaders have a raised bead around each port and with out that center web in a stock manifold gasket you have an open path for a leak. They may work on headers without the raised bead but can't seem them working well on headers with them.

Well as you can see by the picture below they are separated by a web in the middle. Now I don't know which ones you had by misfortune but all the ones I ever seen the middle ports are always separated.

Ex_gskts.jpg

they have new ones out that are thick graphite called "remflex". they work great. they are new so only time will tell.

mullinax95 said:
Well as you can see by the picture below they are separated by a web in the middle. Now I don't know which ones you had by misfortune but all the ones I ever seen the middle ports are always separated.

The ones I have seen don't have the bridge separating the center ports and they didn't have the lower air injection ports either. Since there seems to be different configurations for stock gaskets, my recommendation is to make sure they have the center ports separated.

-
Back