No spark on my 84 Ram.

-
Swap out the mag pickup in the distributor with a new one, or the one from your dart. These can come and go, and play all kinds of intermittent spark issues. I chased your exact issue for a year, and after hundreds of dollars worth of ignition boxes and coils, it was the $16 mag pick-up, deciding to work when it felt like it.

+1 This issue had me chasing my tail for like 2 months on my duster when it was a/. With my 360 I was having starting issues and the tack was really erratic and eng missed at above 4000 and ended up being the screws that hold ign module on had stripped creating a bad ground.

Things that make you feel stupid. So as it turns out, despite getting spark at the plugs it apparently wasn't good enough. I couldn't remember how long it had been since I had done plugs/wires on the truck, since it now has a new distributor, cap, and rotor. I decided to put new copper plugs and a set of wires on it just to see. Took a bit of grinding (it has been sitting for four plus months) but I got it to fire up and run. Set the timing and idle speed again. Now I can reach in and restart it without touching the gas pedal when it is hot.

-
Back