Noise driving me CRAZY!!

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
Ok here it is.
I have this screeching sound while rolling/driving. It's loudest when I'm barely rolling.

Cleaned off pads and shoes - still "screeech"

I have re-packed all of my wheel bearings - no dice.

Re-torque my pinion nut to 240 ft lbs - still squeaking...

I checked to see if maybe the shields were rubbing the rotors - nope, I bent them away a little just to be safe - still squeeling.

Aside from driving it off the nearest cliff, any suggestions?

It happens even when I'm rolling along and put car in neutral and shut it off. Also sounds like it may be more on the passanger side but from the drivers seat it's hard to tell. Wheel bearings seem to be in good shape as I tried to rock the wheels but they stay put.

you check the sensors on the brake pads?

May sound crazy but I have seen new pads out of the box that had a bent squeaker (warning) bar. Check to make sure yours isn't rubbing the rotor. Also I suggest moly-lube on the pads.

Are you sure its the brakes? How about the speedometer cable & or speedometer head?
it's a pretty loud screech (sounds to me like metal on metal) - and I just changed speedo cable, happened with the old broke one and the new not-broke one.

gonna go see if the metal tabs are running on the rotors...

You really need to get this car way up in the air and get several people to listen while turning the wheels. Here's a sneaky way to do this. Have Firestone do their "courtesy check" on it. It's a free check. Firestone uses this as a tool to sell you repairs. They'll find the noise cause they want the work.

Just a quick thought just hit me. A bad u-joint will sometimes squeak when it's going bad.

sound like it could be a u joint to me,low speed can hear the most,higher speeds frequeney changes to higher pitch we can't hear....it's just driveing dogs nuts in area.

-
Back