Not Mine 1966 Formula S 4spd CA

-
super cool little car.

that thing is just begging to be snapped up, give it a little fluff & fold and drive the ever loving wheels off it!

I forgot to point out it's a 3.23 SG 8.75. So commonly folks overlook that beginning in 1966 the 8.75 found its way into 4spd A-bodies. Mother MOPAR was getting tired of the warranty claim rate for V8-4spd cars, especially with the intro of the hipo 4bbl engines in 1965. One 1966 Barracuda in my past that had a factory 8.75 was just a 273 2bbl while an early production 1966 V100 Commando 4spd I spent time with still had the 7.25. It had an Aug 65 production date. As we all know a 7.25 + 4spd + V8 is toast. I spoke at length with the seller and highly recommend the integrity of this Cuda.

$12K for a non runner that probably needs a major restoration? Wow, seems crazy expensive for an early A.

$12K for a non runner that probably needs a major restoration? Wow, seems crazy expensive for an early A.
i also think it's a little over priced, but not out of realm of possibility.

it appears to be a fairly unmolested, rust free car and the interior isn't all blowed out. factory S 4spd cars with 8.75's don't show up often, let alone with their OG motors still intact, either.

i don't see anything there that would scare me off or take more than a weekend or two of futzing about and maybe a grand to put it back on the road.

granted, the market for early A's is much different and ceiling for these cars isn't what it is for the 2nd gen units, but in raw numbers the uniqueness and rarity of this one would push it toward the top of that particular market.

Great comments. I agree pricing is hard to process. I began with these cars in the early 70s and my earliest were $400 to $1000 for a nice one. I've since gone through at least 50 including some extremely unusual and fine examples and while I still remember my 25 cent a week allowance that if I saved would allow me a new Matchbox car for 49 cents every two weeks I can understand the value here. I haven't seen an unhacked/unrestored 66 of this desirable spec in years, and California clean. Like I said I wouldn't have posted it here except I can't make it work with a 65 Cuda and 66 V100 already in the shop. And no, I am not an acquaintance of the seller and have no stake in the outcome. Take it or leave it...

They are underpriced which is fortunate for us. The 64 thru 67 Barracuda projects are excellent cars and by comparison real bargains for what they are. Nice unpopular cars. The younger generation does not want them. They want a 70 thru 74. If that car was a 70 it would do 25 to 30 K. You just have to be capable of doing the restoration yourself or with the help of friends. By market standards it may be overpriced. But in reality it is a good deal for what it is. Very solid great drive train. Try and buy that front bumper or rear bumper. The sure grip and factory four speed...and a wonderful commando 273. That car is a good deal.

Last edited:
My point was that a really nice one sells for $20-25K max. A non runner for half that doesn’t make much sense to me. Not that it is not a cool car, but there is a very small market for them. Maybe I am an out of touch with prices, but that looks like a $5K car to me. Just an opinion….

-
Back