o/d bellhousings?

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Are the truck and car small block o/d bellhousings the same?

NOTE: the location of where the z-bar ball stud bolts to the sb OD bell housing is slightly different than the older bellhousings. If you use an older bracket the z-bar will sit at an angle up towards the engine and back. Call Brewers and tell them what you are doing and they will get you the correct bracket, ~$30.

dgc333 you sound like you have a similar setup to mine. What clutch and p.p.are you using? And how do you like it?

I'm working on the 4 speed conversion on my Dart and haven't gotten to the z bar yet. Looks like I need to call Brewers. Thanks dgc333

DART66GT said:
dgc333 you sound like you have a similar setup to mine. What clutch and p.p.are you using? And how do you like it?

I'm using a street performance clutch set from Zoom. It works just fine and stands up to the abuse a ~370 HP 360 can dish out. The only issue I have with it is that if I adjust the slop out of the pedal to less than 2" then with the pedal on the floor the fingers of the pp will contact the hub of the disk, it will wake you up in a hurry. ;)

I talked to Brewers about that and they have heard of this issue with a number of the three finger pp's out there. I had called them to see if I had the wrong z-bar or clutch fork, I didn't.

To ensure that the pedal will come all the way up when I take my foot off the pedal I put a piece of 2x4 under the carpet so it acts as a stop and that way i can adjust more of the slop out at the top. Not elegant but works fine and no one is to the wiser.

My friend got me a bellhousing from the junkyard for $50 complete with everything fork,boot covers. Turns out its the wrong one. Can anyone recommend a yard in the eastern NY western Mass(Western CT area that I could try.) That might be reasonably priced. I need to finish the V8 conversion so I can move my car.

What dia is the hole in the bell housing you got? If it is 4.800 you can take the O/D bearing retainer and have it turned down to fit.

dgc333 said:
I'm using a street performance clutch set from Zoom. It works just fine and stands up to the abuse a ~370 HP 360 can dish out. The only issue I have with it is that if I adjust the slop out of the pedal to less than 2" then with the pedal on the floor the fingers of the pp will contact the hub of the disk, it will wake you up in a hurry. ;)

I talked to Brewers about that and they have heard of this issue with a number of the three finger pp's out there. I had called them to see if I had the wrong z-bar or clutch fork, I didn't.

To ensure that the pedal will come all the way up when I take my foot off the pedal I put a piece of 2x4 under the carpet so it acts as a stop and that way i can adjust more of the slop out at the top. Not elegant but works fine and no one is to the wiser.

Nothing wrong with a pedal stop. In fact all the early 4 speed racers used them before the advent of clutchless transmissions. I'm willing to bet they still do use them as a means to adjust reaction time.

The hole diameter is correct. Its the tranny mounting bolts that dont line up. I remember going to the track in the 70's and seeing blocks of wood bolted to the clutch pedal.

A pretty knowledgable buddy of mine says its a truck tranny (granny). Thats why the flywheels to big also. But today I found the correct bellhousing,fork, z-bar and flywheel. A little more expensive but in great shape (and they are the correct ones!) just need the covers. And maybe a garage.......

what oil does the 1976 aluminum case a833 o.drive take?regular 80-90 gear oil or a.t.f ? my old no o.d. drive said could use either depending on climate.thanks for any info papa-d

The FSM says to use ATF. I have been using Penzoil Syncromesh Fluid in mine and it shifts better than either gear oil or ATF.

so the manual does say to use atf, so do not use the gear oil then or is it like my fsm on the old 833 use either or. thanks for the info i appreciate it.papa-d

one thing i have noticed is that when your cruising in o-drive and you go to shift down it feels like it is a little stiff to get out od gear?? any thoughts on that? thanks papa-d

-
Back