Octane Boosters

-

SWETPT

Reaction score
With the price of gas going sky high ($1.18L high test)Has anyone used a octane booster at fillup with regulargas.

Don't bother with an off the shelf octane booster. At best they would take your full tank of 87 octane and make it 87.1 octane. If you really want to raise the octane of regular gas you have to use 3 parts 87 octane to 1 part toluene (sp). Do a search on it. You will find all kinds of recipe's.

Jack

Dyno-Tabs Are The Only Thing I Have Found That Actually Work

From Chemplex Automotive Group, Inc.

Don't bother with an off the shelf octane booster. At best they would take your full tank of 87 octane and make it 87.1 octane. If you really want to raise the octane of regular gas you have to use 3 parts 87 octane to 1 part toluene (sp). Do a search on it. You will find all kinds of recipe's.

Jack

Back about 10 years ago I had a trans-am with a "hot" olds 305 in it (bought it that way - cheap). It wasn't that strong, but it would detonate bad when I used regular gas, so I tried boosters, never helped much. The place I worked at had a huge tank of toluene used to thin pain, clean paint guns, etc. I started putting 1 gal of toluene in 18 gallons of regular, ran great. About that time I bought a beater grand-am to get better mileage and started putting toluene in it as well, even though it wasn't high compression and didn't need it. It ran like a scalded dog. One day I was almost out of gas and was afraid I might run out before I got to the gas station 2 miles away, so I dumped in a gallon of toluene and filled up with gas 2 miles later. It ran OK for about 15 more miles, then blew a head gasket (I think). It never overheated. I think the reason it worked well at first was due to the "variable timing" on that engine ('85 4-cyl)? I never got into that car too much, just know I couldn't adjust the timing manually.

If you run high octane in a standard or lower compression engine, you are just leaving horsepower and mileage on the table. The octane makes the gas less volitile, requiring more pressure to fully ignite. Unless you have high compression, you'll actually run faster, cheaper, cleaner with regular.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.

How much do you drive the car? I don't know about where you live but here it is only 20 cents more for 91 than 87. Thats 3 bucks more a fill up over 87 to put 91 in my car. So I don't worry about it.

We pay $1.50 per litre of 98 RON fule here. When I've had to use octane booster, I use Nulon Octane Boost & Clean....raises the fuel 2.5 numbers......and it works......use whole bottle for a 60 lt tank.
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Octane_Boost_and_Clean/

The old stuff used to raise it buy 7 numbers.....probably stopped making it coz it ain't good for you or the enviroment.....:(

Octane Boosters do not usually work other then to possibly clean your fuel system. These Dyno-Tabs condition the fuel to burn more efficient giving more horse-power and better performance. I have been using these for three years along with some others in my area.

KP

I used some Lucus octane booster

Yeah it helped some, but very expensive.

I have been putting some race gas in every tank and it keeps it from pinging and is about the same cost as the booster.

If you can buy race gas, try a little in each tank til you get the results you want.

Here's the deal: When octane boosters say they boost octane by a point or two points, it just means that it makes 93 octane 93.1 or 93.2, that's it. Don't think it raises octane by a whole number.

I used to use a product called "Instead-O-Lead Gold". They had the regular lead substitute in a red bottle & the lead substitute with octane booster (the "Gold" version) in a black bottle. Don't know what was in the stuff but I added the reccommended amount to the gas in my 77 Harley & it eliminated all pinging & the bike ran great. Worked way better than toluene. Used to carry it with me whenever I went on a road trip. Wish I could find it now. Anybody finds some anywhere, buy me about 50 cases. I'll pay you back.

Run of the mill octane boosters are nothing more than Kerosene........... POlishing the cumbustion chambers is a great octane booster, along with timing, cam over lap, etc. :)

-
Back