Oh no...My transmission is not dead LOL

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Yeah, I just had a brainfart on the way home in my D50.

It wouldn't shift out of 2nd Gear and the lil 273 was screaming along at 5000 - 5500rpm (which, with glasspacks and 2.25" Duals, sounds pretty wicked).

The entire trip home, I kept thinking "Damn it! This transmission is still pretty new" (built it in 2006 for my '74 Duster, put 800 miles on it from 2006 - 2011). Pulled it out of my Duster when I converted to a 4-Speed, and when the 904 in my D50 died (and I couldn't find another 4x4 904 or 727 locally) I swapped the Tailshaft & Housing to convert the built 727 from my Duster to a 4WD for my Truck.

Put about 1,500 miles on it since then.

I pulled down the driveway, thinking "I better check the Lokar Kickdown Cable, that expensive thing probably frayed and is stuck in the casing." Nope. I pulled up on the Lock Out on the B&M Ratchet Shifter to put it in Park and slapped it forward...Stopped and thought for a moment and said to myself "That felt like it traveled further than normal." So I rowed it from Park to Drive and back again, yeah different. Somehow the shifter landed in 2nd Gear Indent instead of 3rd earlier (even though pulling back on it beyond Drive/3rd does a 3-1 shift so you can ratchet up through the gears, and also requires the lock out to be lifted)

I can't get it to do it again, so maybe it was a fluke/one-time thing. Though I wish that Ratchet Shifter had a Downshift function, so I could pull it down into 2nd / hold 2nd gear. (if needed)

-
Back