Oil Leak Question

-

DART340

Reaction score
OK, everything is running good, but everytime I really hammer it and my boost comes up(6-10Lbs) oil comes out the front of the engine where the intake seals to the block just above the water pump between the heads. I just installed an evac system feeding from the valve covers to my exhaust thinking this would cure it. It helped but I still get oil. Ive resealed the intake three times. Any ideas?

Do you recommend any other ways to vent it? I hate the mess.

My thought is that some of that BOOST is getting past your rings increasing your crankcase pressure and it finds the weakest link which is where it is leaking. What kind of Rings did you use on the pistons? And did you set it up for boost on the ring end gap?

They were moly rings gapped according to specs. It was a complete kit from scat. Forged crank, h-beam rods and je pistons

Did you look into Total Seal at all. Alot of guys use them and have success running tons of boost. Pain in the *** but changing rings will probably fix the problem and increase your boost a bit in the process.

OK, thanks. Worse comes to worse Ill have to go that way.

Are you 100% sure it's coming from the intake gasket? The reason I ask is I had a 340 that started leaking oil at the front of the motor and the fan then blew it all over. I had the intake gasket changed thinking that was where it was leaking but I still had oil everywhere after a few miles. I took it back to the mechanic thinking he didn't get it sealed good. He checked the gasket and didn't find anything wrong. He then took the dipstick out, held a piece of cardboard behind the tube and held the engine at about 3000 rpm for a couple of minutes. Pretty soon you could see little drops of oil blowing out onto the cardboard. So the oil was coming out of the dipstick, not the intake! I never did find out exactly why it started doing that (it was fine for 4-5k miles). My mechanic and I are sure it has too much crankcase pressure but a leakdown test didn't find anything wrong. Wasn't overfull on oil, either. It also didn't have any noticable blow-by. I finally 'band-aided' the problem by putting the tall later ('89) dipstick tube and dipstick with the cap that went over the tube (with a piece of thin rubber tubing over the outside of the dipstick tube so the cap would seal) and it doesn't blow oil out any more.
And, FWIW, I had a 318 that blew oil out the dipstick like a gusher. It quit when I cut the plugged exhaust off the car.
Don't know if any of this helps but it's food for thought.
Dallas

I will check that too. I have one of those lokar dipsticks. Its just so cold I don't want to do much of anything.lol

I have an edelbrock aluminum performer intake on my 340 and when I first installed it I used the edelbrock bolts with the manifold. These bolts were the hex/allen head style and even tourqued to spec they still leaked. I ended up reinstalling the stock intake bolts and no leaks.

Your definetly pushing boost past the rings. What are you doing for crank case vent now? I had a similar problem and ran a vacume line from the valve cover to the air cleaner housing. My problem was happening around 6000 rpm no turbo. If you have headers make use of them for scavenge, dragsters do it.
G

-
Back