oil light came on ??????

-

fgrossi

Reaction score
Hi guys
the oil light came on my 1973 duster 340 all of a sudden,,checked the oil topped it up but wont go off,,anyone have same prob? engine sounds like its getting oil but can,t be sure..oil sending unit or oil pump? how can i tell???
thanks
Frank

Are the lifters making a racket? If not (sounds the same as always) your oil warning lamp switch probably failed. It's a cheap part, so just replace it.

Somebody will probably chime in and tell you to get a mechanical gauge. I'll certainly not argue.

Sounds like the "idiot" light sender failed. Either replace it with a new one, or mount a mechanical gauge and remove the light sender, and plumb the gauge to it.

Bill

i say hook up a mech gauge and get a pressure reading. If its getting the proper pressure, then replace the sending unit.

thanks guys,you,ve been a great help..the wire on the sending unit shook loose and all i had to do was place it back on.

thanks
Frank Grossi

thanks guys,you,ve been a great help..the wire on the sending unit shook loose and all i had to do was place it back on.

thanks
Frank Grossi

Frank, if the wire simply fell off, that would not make the light come on. The wire had to find ground somewhere. That's what cuts the light on. When pressure gets too low, the sender switches and grounds the terminal the wire plugs into and cuts the light on. Unless the end of the wire hit ground and cut the light on, I would trace that wire all the way up to make sure that it did not fall on something hot and melt the insulation and ground like that.

Yes, it means he agrees. Sometimes you'll see one guy say x2, and others follow with x3, x4, x5...

Times two, times three, times four, times five...

thanks for the tips guys,you were right about it grounding.

Frank

-
Back