painting Respirators (single stage Urethane-BCCC ) what are you using ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I want to do some painting (door jams, engine bay ets) just for my stuff...not for daily work. What Respirators are you guys using to spray single stage Urethane and or Base Coat Clear Coat ? What do you feel safe with for occassion use ? I will be painting in 2 car garage, with fans pulling out fumes ( i guess I can leave the doors open if needed also ),, Are full face respirators needed ? fresh air respirators needed ?????? Just looking for advise. Thanks When it comes time to paint the body I will send it to a shop .

Depends if you are allergic or even over sensitive to the iso cyanides/ Those chemicals build up in your body over time if they don't kill you first trip out. It happens. Be aware. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer.
You can absorb then thru your eye also.

Depends if you are allergic or even over sensitive to the iso cyanides/ Those chemicals build up in your body over time if they don't kill you first trip out. It happens. Be aware. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer.
You can absorb then thru your eye also.
This is why I'm asking . Looking for real information, with no BS.....Thanks

P1040827.JPG

Last edited:
Read what I said above again and I will add more here. I have seen people paint Imron and the first time and was their last. I don't even know if Imron is still on the market.
Decades ago I was painting horse/stock trailers with alkaid emamel. Then first time I used single stage enamel with hardner, abour 24 hours later I began to run a fever, actually i felt like I had high fever buy thermometer said not. I am allergic or highly sensitive. The bad chemical is that isocyanide. Other chemicals in paint can also be an issue.
I would definitely paint with garage door open and have several good fans blowing out flumes. NO this is not like a real spray booth. Realize you will have overspray on everything.
NOTE" Disclaimer: Paint at your own risk.
This is not a new discussion.
I have seen guys paint for the first time and have what their is called chemical pneumonia.
I use a full face respirator. Not as good as it should be but gets me by. I could never afford to pay a shop or deal with their BS.

I painted my 65 Barracuda in 1990 inside my then two car garage with the doors open and a fan going. Single stage urethane. And I survived. Twenty-four years later, my lungs are still OK. (Paint still looks good, too.)

1711743614239.jpeg

But I don't recommend doing that. The fumes can ruin your lungs. How quickly, don't know, and I have not painted a full car since, but I decided it was dumb to take a chance with not being able to breathe, so I bought a fresh air respirator to use for the smaller jobs I've done since, or painted outside. Or both.

I have been told effects of isocyanides are cumlative. I seen guys that have painted all their lives with a good half mask respirator and seen to be OK (I assume).
I have to wear my fresh air set up even when I mix the darn stuff.

I painted my former truck in a home made paint booth in 2000. The exhaust fan was sort of marginal and there were lots of fumes in the booth. I was very happy that I splurged for a fresh air respirator with a full hood. You need to protect your eyes as well as your lungs and skin.

Be very safe!

image.jpg

Not worth it.............You are asking us (a bunch of gearheads) about Health and safety. This **** will bite you in the *** years later.....Not worth it. IMHO only. Good luck with your decision. :)

Read what I said above again and I will add more here. I have seen people paint Imron and the first time and was their last. I don't even know if Imron is still on the market.
Decades ago I was painting horse/stock trailers with alkaid emamel. Then first time I used single stage enamel with hardner, abour 24 hours later I began to run a fever, actually i felt like I had high fever buy thermometer said not. I am allergic or highly sensitive. The bad chemical is that isocyanide. Other chemicals in paint can also be an issue.
I would definitely paint with garage door open and have several good fans blowing out flumes. NO this is not like a real spray booth. Realize you will have overspray on everything.
NOTE" Disclaimer: Paint at your own risk.
This is not a new discussion.
I have seen guys paint for the first time and have what their is called chemical pneumonia.
I use a full face respirator. Not as good as it should be but gets me by. I could never afford to pay a shop or deal with their BS.
I'm in the same place, can not pay a shop to do all of the work. Thats why I want to paint the door jambs and engine bay myself. And when it does go to a shop some of the steps will be taken care of.

I bought a full face 3M respirator for painting my '66 Dart in my garage. I used it when I painted the jams and trunk a few months ago and it worked out great. I'm pretty sure my half mask would've been fine too.

It's hard to warrant a fresh air system just doing a paint project every once in a while.

The "standard" is the 3M N95.

I do my own stuff, and use the one that @YY1 posted above. Make sure you get one that fits your face well, or you will get small leaks next to the bottom/sides of your nose. The filters clog up quickly and are expensive to replace, so I have found that covering them with coffee filters held in place with rubber bands around the backside of the lip on the filters prevents that. I trim the coffee filters up with scissors after I get them installed to keep them from tickling my face. I do plan to step up to a full face 3M mask when I progress to painting a complete vehicle. Painting without a good mask is not an option, so good on you for trying to protect your lungs!

:thumbsup:

You need a respirator with a P100 filter and a cartridge that protects against organic vapors.

Organic vapor inserts are available for the one I posted.

Here is a decent deal on the cartridges I've used. My understanding is the activated carbon portion of the cartridge begins absorbing airborne particles and moisture as soon as the package is opened, so they have a limited useful life once opened even if they're not actively being used. Storing them in a sealed ziplock may extend their useful life. For the limited amount of painting I do, I just use a fresh set for every project.

3M OV P100 Replacement Cartridges for Household Multi-Purpose Reusable Respirator (1-Pair) 60921HB1-A - The Home Depot

-
Back