patch panel/tech ideas and help

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
well guys im ready to start welding in 1 of the panels that i had to cut out of the 73 and thought i would see if anybody had any good tech info ,tricks,or anything like that before i start....i'm not new to welding at all went to school for it and have been welding stuff here and there i do all the welding on my dump truck and did all of it on the duster moved perchs,installed muff,and odd and ends..but i have never did a panel or really anything this thin not worried but would like some pointers or at lease some tech for those that dont or can't weld may be able to use...my welder is a 220 volt 110amp mig that has the hook up for gas just never used it before ,also i have a big 220 volt stick ..so lets hear whats you tips and tricks...mike

Take your time. Turn your heat down. DON'T try to weld it continuous. The panel will warp. Make small tack welds several inches apart until the panel is secured, then you can weld it out.

Get that gas hooked up and use the proper wire with it. You'll like how it welds.

1 thing i would like to add to this is get a good feel for your welder it makes it so much easier... i havent used my welder in a while but once i got the feel back man you can go a long way ..mike

You might want to look into this wire. Its called Easy Grind. Its ESAB ESA130TF43. Its .023" diameter and really works well on sheet metal. It aint cheap! An 11 puond spool cost me $58. If your machine is able to run .023" diameter wire I recomend it. This is not a flux core wire. You will need to run the gas with it.

Ted

thats good to know ..ill check it out right now im running 30 and no gas but i would like to fill my tank for the pass. side and see how that works out for me....is there alot of diff. in weldeing w/or wo the gas or about the same ..i know that its hotter with the gas so im guessing ill have to speed up the feed?? mike

Gas, .025 wire, low setting (mine is hobart 220 v, 180. I set it on 1, and 25 wire speed). Search 69 charger rustbucket in b bodies, took some pics. Cut the replacement panel about 2" larger than original cut, screw it at the edges in several places. Use a die grinder to start the cut, about 1/2" from original cut, cutting both panels at the same time. Then, if you can get a variable speed jig/saber saw, use it. With a wide cutting blade; you want 1/8" gap. After cutting a foot, pull back the strip from the new panel, so you can tack/buttweld. Move all over the place, so you don't concentrate the heat.
Wet rag on the welds. I learned the hard way; used a 5/64" disc to cut. A weld, when it cools, contracts, pulling the sheetmetal. Not enough space, it pushes out. good space, it sucks inward. Bondo will fix that. The biggest hammer in the world will not fix pushing out, it will oilcan.
Then finish de-waxer and filler. Evercoat Rage, Evercoat Icing, 3M sandpaper on a 17" long airfile, then block, with long hand file.. Good. Seal behind the panel to keep moisture out.
Weld cutting flappers on grinder from Harbor Freight (no heat). $5. A auto darkening helmet from HF, $45. And after shooting primer on bud's car, we like Sherwin Williams primers. The icing sands easy, as does the primer/filler. Figure out the contours, put tape there, shoot upper, pull tape off, shoot lower.(that adjusts the lines). So much good info in here.
Ospho is your friend, $18 at Ace Hardware.

-
Back