Pertronix II upgrade for Unilite distributor

-

Mtrhed

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm still mulling over what to replace the stock ignition system on my car with ('68 post car with a mild-ish 440). I've considered the $55 eBay special distributors but whenever I ask about replacement parts everyone gets really quite. I've considered buying a reman OE distributor and going with a GM 4 pin HEI module but would like something a little sexier. I remembered that my car came with two Mallory Uni-Lite distributors, one with a popped module. Both of these are mechanical advance only. I was never planning on running these units due to experience with the Uni-Lite's module being rather fragile. The distributors are in fine mechanical shape. I noticed that Pertronix has a retrofit kit of their "Ignitor II" system available for the Uni-Lite. Could anyone give me feedback on the Pertronix kits in general? I'm going to be using a Mallory 685 Hyfire multistrike box and the appropriate E-core coil with whatever I decide on. The installation instructions look pretty simple. I like the fact that Pertronix lists replacement part numbers right their in the catalog, no smoke and mirrors. Running a modded OE unit has the advantage of easy parts availability which would be nice but just about every parts store I've dealt with carries the Pertronix brand. I'd probably retrofit both dizzys I have and carry one as a spare. The retrofit kits are about $120 online. I could get the full Ignitor II distributor for about $230. Advice? Opinions? Hit me with what you got. Thanks everyone!

-
Back