Pistons for 318

-

273 Commando

mooser's dad
Reaction score
I have a '73 318 laying around that I want to build on the cheap for my kid's Duster. I want to run a Hughes Whiplash cam in it to give him that sound we all love. I will be using the stock 675 heads, Edelbrock Performer, Carter Comp AFB 625, Heddman headers, 904 w/ Trans Go kit and 3.21's.

Obviously I need some compression, and since I'm buying a Summit engine kit with pistons, I want to do a upgrade to KB's for additional cost. Which one's should I get? I think the 167's are to low in the deck from what I've read.

This is kinda new to me, so any advice is welcome. I won't buy any heads or a 360, I need to use what I already have. A '65 273 Commando with a bad head gasket and the above mentioned parts are in the car currently. The 315 closed chamber 273 heads are an option. In either case the heads would need a rebuild and appropriate springs, etc. Thanks guys!

I think TRW or Speed-Pro used to do an 11.5 domed piston for the 318. Popular for raising compression when fitting 360 heads. I believe these may be discontinued, but EGGE probably still stocks them.

Are you sure the KB 167's won't get you where you want to be?

Thanks Chief, I'm not positive about the 167's, but with the open chamber 675 heads I probably wont hit over 8.5. I'm trying to get by with minimal machining to cut cost. The KB 399's might do it, but I'm not sure of chamber volume on the heads to determine approximate CR.

-
Back