Powertrax diff

-

project74

Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with the Powertrax suregrip units? Good...bad :dontknow: Never heard anything about them and have a guy wanting to sell me one for an 8.25.

I'm looking at getting one also. I have a few friends who have them in their trucks. And they have had them for a while and no problems as of yet.

I just got some info that may help us both. They're great in the mud but noisy as hell on the street to the point where you think your diff is coming apart. Think I'll pass on this one.

project74 said:
I just got some info that may help us both. They're great in the mud but noisy as hell on the street to the point where you think your diff is coming apart.
I've never owned one but this is what I've heard about them also.

So what your saying is that it would sound like my current diff. Just with a limited slip. And I can barely hear that over the exhaust anyway.

I personally now a guy who put one in his 9.25 Ram rear axle with 3.92 gears.

It was a modified 5.7L with nitrous making 500rwhp. He took the factory limited slip out because he figured it was the weak point.

Alas, the powertrax lasted about 4 months before is came apart. He went back to a factory limited slip and it hasn't come apart yet!!!

I hear these are better for off road, high torue, low RPM duty than high hp, high rpm duty.

64dartwagon said:
So what your saying is that it would sound like my current diff. Just with a limited slip. And I can barely hear that over the exhaust anyway.
No. Your current differential shouldn't make any noise at all unless there is something drasticly wrong with it. We're saying the Powertrax is noisy/clunks when it engages. And it's not a limited slip. It's a full locker type when it engages.

-
Back